Page 263 of 422 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313363 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 4213

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Yppej
    I also dislike new car features and am going to keep lane departure turned off. Part of my commute involves going through a road work zone where we have to go back and forth to the breakdown lane. If I let the car take over I would be hitting orange cones or possibly construction workers. Another thing that crossed my mind is if a deer jumps in front of me (as one did the other day) and I swerve to miss it the car will stop my swerve and slam me into the deer. I think it is stupid technology, especially when not paired with a sensor that detects objects and keeps you from hitting them.

AFAIK lane departure in most cars is just a warning -- lights on the dash or a buzzer/beep or such (both of our cars are too old to have it but that's how it works on DD's Honda Pilot). I find it annoying but, then, I'm not typically dozing off at the wheel so maybe I'm not the target customer for this feature. There are cars which can drive themselves enough to correct for what it sees as a lane departure or a road obstruction but I think they cost much more than the cars most of us drive daily and they all let the driver override the car's initial action with the steering wheel, brake, etc.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

“Lane departure!!!” Oh no, Now I have this to look forward too I suppose in my next new car God.

Yppej
    The dealer told me the car will correct the lane drift but by steering very hard you can override it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The dealer told me the car will correct the lane drift but by steering very hard you can override it.
    I had that feature on my last car, it didn't require a hard steer to overcome. You felt a little tension on the wheel while correcting but it reminded me of those days before power steering, only not that hard.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You felt a little tension on the wheel while correcting but it reminded me of those days before power steering, only not that hard.
    Interesting. I don't remember the Pilot correcting the lane departure, just informing. Then again, my very first car didn't even have power steering (neither did my second IIRC) so maybe I just reacted without thinking about it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

All these wonderful new features coming out are interesting developments to hear about. I am waiting for my "Home, James" electric version but not much about that as yet.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

DH is telling me I should get a new car. He got a new Kia Soul and I hate the dash... have to use the touch to get the radio... can't see it half the time and harder to use than just pushing a button. No CD player so probably either have to get Sirius or plug in a cell phone which I rarely use. Does not have a "real" spare tire... why can't we just get a simple car for us old geezers? He wants to look at a Kia Niro????

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Does not have a "real" spare tire... why can't we just get a simple car for us old geezers? He wants to look at a Kia Niro????
    I appreciate my run flats. No changing a tire if I get a flat!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    DH is telling me I should get a new car. He got a new Kia Soul and I hate the dash... have to use the touch to get the radio... can't see it half the time and harder to use than just pushing a button. No CD player so probably either have to get Sirius or plug in a cell phone which I rarely use. Does not have a "real" spare tire... why can't we just get a simple car for us old geezers? He wants to look at a Kia Niro????
    yes, cars with old geezer features would be good!

It makes it hard especially for us old geezers who are somewhat frugal because we change cars ONLY every 10 or 15 years and the new features are light years different from the old car we just got rid of.

Thread Information