Page 80 of 422 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Use safari for our Apple.....
    PM Allen and point him to this thread. I haven't played with a Mac since the first Bondi Blue in the KC area, they were never my thing, so he would be much better help with it.

No desire? energy? to Run lately.

Time to get stronger reading glasses. Again.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

the wind, really windy today

My peeve du jour: Looking for a specific one sentence piece of online info and being forced to view the video or the slide show instead. I don't want to watch bad home movies while someone blathers on like an eight year old on coke for fifteen minutes, unless the how-to info truly can't be described without it. Similarly, a site that is so slow it basically won't load at all because it's so bogged down with ads, links and "join now" inserts. Links that appear to be useful (you know, they're underlined in blue) and turn out to be a simple definition having nothing to do with the topic at hand. [topic at hand: what is being discussed.] Finally, the fact that I have to sign up to do just about anything. Simply must have my email address, and make me go there and verify that I have indeed unwillingly signed up, and then go back and find the page all over again, simply in order to do a one-off view of a website, take a quiz, leave a comment. I know, too much time on my hands, but it's like junk mail: is anything other than a gigantic increase in wasted time and irritation actually accomplished?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    My peeve du jour: Looking for a specific one sentence piece of online info and being forced to view the video or the slide show instead. I don't want to watch bad home movies while someone blathers on like an eight year old on coke for fifteen minutes, unless the how-to info truly can't be described without it.
    Absolutely with you there! I can read far faster than most people talk, and most written text contains visual clues that break up the information so I can jump to the next paragraph or chapter. With a video or podcast, that indexing is rare, wasting even more time to get to the info I want.

Similarly, a site that is so slow it basically won't load at all because it's so bogged down with ads, links and "join now" inserts.
    And, even worse, a site that keeps pushing the content around because elements up the page are resizing. Impossible to read when the text keeps jumping up and down (and, sometimes, behind) the page.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    And, even worse, a site that keeps pushing the content around because elements up the page are resizing. Impossible to read when the text keeps jumping up and down (and, sometimes, behind) the page.
    Oh, preach on, brother! That has got to be the worst, when you simply can't manipulate the page for all the jumping around, sometimes in slow motion; you wait and wait and think it's ok to click, it must be ready by now but no, now you've managed to get to the Hair Club For Men instead.

Granny, stop barking! Stop it!

edited to add: I see that I already posted this peeve back in August. Well, she is still yapping for dinner hours before dinner time. ack!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-17-14 at 10:37am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Granny, stop barking! Stop it!
    I SECOND THIS - Different Granny. She talks to you when you're in the room. She talks to you when you're not in the room. When you're on the phone, when you're watching tv, when you're on the toilet, when you're lying in bed. While you're texting, while you're dressing, while you're trying to gather ten minutes of meditation time to keep from strangling her. About people you've never met and details that don't matter. Every time you begin a sentence or even just try to have a conversation by validating what she's saying. It's The Granny Channel, 16 hours a day each and every day until she goes home. She's right and you're wrong and never mind that she didn't hear a word you said. Lady! It's bad enough that you need to micro manage me and I'm a control freak and barely tolerate this but OH. PLEASE. PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE!!! SHUT. UP.

Oh mother of god it's three hours later and she hasn't stopped yet. Now it's a running commentary as she online shops for Christmas gifts for people i don't know, narrating online shopping as if no one else in the room has ever done it, oh, she forgot to take off the capitals lock! ... oh ... whimper ... please ...
    Last edited by kib; 11-26-14 at 7:48pm.

I SECOND THIS - Different Granny. She talks to you when you're in the room. She talks to you when you're not in the room. When you're on the phone, when you're watching tv, when you're on the toilet, when you're lying in bed. While you're texting, while you're dressing, while you're trying to gather ten minutes of meditation time to keep from strangling her. About people you've never met and details that don't matter. Every time you begin a sentence or even just try to have a conversation by validating what she's saying. It's The Granny Channel, 16 hours a day each and every day until she goes home. She's right and you're wrong and never mind that she didn't hear a word you said. Lady! It's bad enough that you need to micro manage me and I'm a control freak and barely tolerate this but OH. PLEASE. PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE!!! SHUT. UP.

Oh mother of god it's three hours later and she hasn't stopped yet. Now it's a running commentary as she online shops for Christmas gifts for people i don't know, narrating online shopping as if no one else in the room has ever done it, oh, she forgot to take off the capitals lock! ... oh ... whimper ... please ...
    oh honey, you win by a mile. There are few things worse than yapping humans.

With my little Granny dog I can pick her up and put her in the basement if her noise goes beyond what I can tolerate.

My father-in-law has a live-in girlfriend who is of the busy-body talker ilk. She talks talks talks about mind numbingly dull stuff and is always bustling around buying crap for people and inserting herself into their lives and talking about each step along the way. She took care of her elderly father until he died at the age of 103. Now she's "taking care" of my FIL and while some of it is good, some of it isn't so good. He is feeling a little crowded. and she interferes with things he wants to do.

Today I was skimming a book by philosopher John Lachs called Meddling: on the virtures of leaving others alone where he talks about the ethical considerations of humans' need to boss others around and tell them how to live. He is a proponent of Stoic pragmatism, which is a philosophy that encourages us to be satisfied with what is "good enough." He sounds right up my alley, and I'm going to read more of his works.

Thread Information