Page 272 of 422 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I post this with all due respect to you:

Why do you assume that those who are doing it - and I'll speak specifically for myself - feel smug and superior????? I don't and that is definitely NOT the point of the responses. Each time, I am responding to a post. Stop/change/modify the posts and the responses will change. It's really that simple. But if you are going to attack or condemn responses, try starting at the beginning with the initial posts and poster.
    I don't want to change her posts. She is free to post what she wants to.

My perception of the smug thing is because people seem to pile on, with great relish. That feels unpleasant to me, like bullying in high school. Just my perception, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Each time, I am responding to a post. Stop/change/modify the posts and the responses will change. It's really that simple.
    But on the flip side, attempting to stop a discussion doesn't promote further discussion, it's cancellation on a small scale. And when it's done on a larger scale as we've been seeing here recently, it begins to look like cliquish behavior.

I think we're all guilty of that sort of thing at times but I think it's hard for us to defend, even when we do it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

These recent posts have triggered a serious question for me.
    The Simple Living Forums goal? What is it?
    I had thought it was a spot to share ideas, communicate with those interested in simple living and support those seeking a simpler life. Please correct me if I am wrong, where and in what manner.

When the anonymity of the posters is used to post without consideration of others that would violate any neighbourhood gathering with its diverse membership, what would the response of the neighbourhood be?

This is not a money management forum or such-like but a diverse group of members from all walks of life.

I am realistic and recognize that social media has changed discourse in general, other social groups undergo change, atrophy and die or move into different directions than originally designed. That is life.

Do you see that SLF has changed? How?

This is not intended as Sensitivity Police post, as Idahl calls it, but a genuine evaluation of direction for both the site and from its members.

ETA: the Simple public policy forum is unique unto itself
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But on the flip side, attempting to stop a discussion doesn't promote further discussion, it's cancellation on a small scale. And when it's done on a larger scale as we've been seeing here recently, it begins to look like cliquish behavior.

I think we're all guilty of that sort of thing at times but I think it's hard for us to defend, even when we do it.
    I'm not attempting to stop a discussion, but am responding as I see fit. Apparently there are several other people here that also are responding as they see fit, and also happen to agree more with each other than with Yppej. You can call that "piling on", but the fact is there are people willing to post that they disagree.

As for cliquish behavior - I will confess to using razz's emoji as a short-cut response. If you want to count that as cliquish, so be it, but I'm far from being part of any clique. If you can't tell by now, I speak for myself.

But, since several of you seem to think that "ignoring" is a more appropriate response, far be it from me to not take the suggestion and give it a try.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The whole ice cream snark, ganging up on people and dumping on them. I don't see the point. It's obvious you think certain posters are stupid or obsessed or clueless. What purpose does ganging up on them with the whole social shunning thing serve? It doesn't seem to have much impact, other than to make the people doing it feel smug and superior.

Sorry if I have missed the point of this activity.
    The point is virtue signaling.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    These recent posts have triggered a serious question for me.
    The Simple Living Forums goal? What is it?
    I had thought it was a spot to share ideas, communicate with those interested in simple living and support those seeking a simpler life. Please correct me if I am wrong, where and in what manner.
    Since there's no top down structure to these forums I think the community itself gets to define what it's goals and ideals are.

I think we saw in these forums first iteration that attempting to keep a diverse community on topic, which could only be accomplished through strict moderation, created more drama and division than intended, and probably contributed to it's abandonment by its founder.

In it's second iteration I feel it was used by a non-profit as an outreach to a new group of potential supporters and when that didn't work as hoped, it was abandoned again.

The only reason it still exists here in it's third iteration is because I thought the community might want a place to stay together in a place with no un-due expectations of profitability or outreach. That's why we don't have strict, top-down rules or goals. My philosophy is that the community gets to define what it is by allowing its members to discuss anything of interest. I wish people wouldn't gang up on each other and promote division, but that happens sometimes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I better understand the approach now. Thanks.

I learn so much, get a glimpse of the US view of issues to some extent, love watching jobs unfold, home moving accounts, life challenges met and more.

Periodically, I take a break and step back.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Alan, Thank you for the history. I've been on this forum for many years and visit it daily. There is usually something that makes me think or rethink an attitude or feeling. Like Razz, I enjoy watching growth, jobs, families, challenges and ideas of simple living. Thank you for maintaining it, Alan.

I like that no one is censored.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The whole ice cream snark, ganging up on people and dumping on them. I don't see the point. It's obvious you think certain posters are stupid or obsessed or clueless. What purpose does ganging up on them with the whole social shunning thing serve? It doesn't seem to have much impact, other than to make the people doing it feel smug and superior.

Sorry if I have missed the point of this activity.
    I think you’re right. It’s a sort of pack behavior thing that doesn’t add anything to the discussion. I also have little use for “+1” posts for the same reason. If you agree, say why. Otherwise it’s just another form of piling on without providing any sort of argument or counter argument.

Thread Information