Page 345 of 422 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 4219

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Lots of people find lots of useful help from talk therapy. I guess one's mileage will vary on this topic.

I agree Tybee that many people find talk therapy helpful. The right medication can be life changing for some people. It can be the difference between leading a normal life and not being able to function. Unfortunately psychiatrists mainly only see patients for 15 minutes and prescribe medications. They typically don’t do therapy. New psychiatrist doctors were a problem because they frequently would change a patient’s medication and it could destabilize them. Being right out of school they can be over confident of their skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese John Here View Post
    Most clinicians like he calls them, psychiatrists, have mental problems one way or another, either an existentialism that never ends, anxieties, even depression, that's why they usually also visit psychiatrists on their own time. Most of them choose that career because they thought it would grant them the insight into the human mind, the human condition, but it doesn't, other's thought it would grant the power of analyses over people's personalities. They might tell you, after I don't know how many sessions, where the source of the problem is, and the source often excludes the person with problems of any responsibility over their current situation, and specially young people, they love it, it's so easy to blame the parents, because they are the first role models, the first influence. But where everything falls apart is fixing the problem, that's the big deal, that's why so many people are on medication, because every single people on earth has different experiences derived from different environments, with different influences, what can make one person overcome it psychologically, won't work on another, that's where philosophy starts kicking, but the problem with philosophy is that people pick and choose the one who satisfy their lifestyle the most. In some cases, you cover a hole and another pops up, that's why so many spend their lives visiting those clinicians. My search for that core lead me away from philosophy and psychoanalyses long ago, it wasn't there. Now I believe I know where it is, but it's a serious business, it ain't easy, no sir, and I don't have the will in me, cheap trills, living with gratitude is enough, it's easier and less demanding.
    I agree that therapy often seems more effective at identifying the problem and its roots than coming up with an effective strategy for making things better going forward. I know a couple of people who have had extensive therapy, and it doesn't seem to have helped them improve their lives much, although it's difficult to say that they might not have been worse off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I agree Tybee that many people find talk therapy helpful. The right medication can be life changing for some people. It can be the difference between leading a normal life and not being able to function. Unfortunately psychiatrists mainly only see patients for 15 minutes and prescribe medications. They typically don’t do therapy. New psychiatrist doctors were a problem because they frequently would change a patient’s medication and it could destabilize them. Being right out of school they can be over confident of their skills.
    Yes, psychiatrists don't really deal in talk therapy, IMHO. They prescribe, and that's about it They learn enough about you to know what to prescribe.

It's the counselors, MSWs, psychologists that try to guide you down the road of self-awareness. Once they help you reveal something, they can guide you to solutions, but it's still your responsibility to do the work. They are not failures if you don't "get better." That's like saying a driver's ed teacher is a failure if you don't follow the speed limit once you have your license..

I have found talk therapy helpful in centering myself in certain truths that were hard to see. That alone is a helpful first step.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Talk therapy with a Licensed Clinical Social worker changed my life. I was floundering and depressed. She would make it all so simple, one tiny step at a time and it resulted in changes in how I viewed things. But, when I thanked her she said, "You did it. You did the work, I just guided you." I went in the late 80, late 90s and did a quick one visit check in 2 or 3 years ago. I had learned so much, was able to navigate the death of my parents, retirement, other things that once would have thrown me for a loop. I am ever grateful to have found her when I did.

Have a customer who brings in food items from India. Lots of stuff is held by FDA for additional information. The importing companies who are customers have turned into dumb clucks. They bellyache and whine about their stuff being held by FDA, yet they totally ignore multiple emails a week asking for required info.

I’ve been trying to get info from customer on labeling since 8/19. Finally got it today. Sent it to FDA and what do you know? Shipment is released 5 minutes later. I advise customer and send proof of FDA crickets. No response acknowledging email. They’re shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly in situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Talk therapy with a Licensed Clinical Social worker changed my life. I was floundering and depressed. She would make it all so simple, one tiny step at a time and it resulted in changes in how I viewed things. But, when I thanked her she said, "You did it. You did the work, I just guided you." I went in the late 80, late 90s and did a quick one visit check in 2 or 3 years ago. I had learned so much, was able to navigate the death of my parents, retirement, other things that once would have thrown me for a loop. I am ever grateful to have found her when I did.
    That's great you had success with talk therapy. I echo your sentiment. It took me some trial and error to find a good therapist that was also a good match for me.

Therapy seems kind of analogous to computing: good therapy is like incremental software upgrades that are more computationally efficient and purposeful, so that the hardware doesn't have to work as hard and risk overheating and burning up. It can't fix everything, it sure can make a difference with the right therapist.

Eric, The right fit is vital. I was lucky to have a good fit right away.

I fear I may have come across as anti-therapy, which I am not. I just happen to have a couple of people who are near and dear to me that don't seem to be getting much benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I fear I may have come across as anti-therapy, which I am not. I just happen to have a couple of people who are near and dear to me that don't seem to be getting much benefit from it.
    Oh I think good effective therapy is a boon for everyone! It’s just it’s so hard to find that great of a therapist, and good medication.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-13-22 at 12:28pm.

Thread Information