Page 236 of 422 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Tradd, it’s so much better to exercise outside but people can be so selfish.

Terry, I hate heat. I’m miserable in it. I miss the recumbent bike.

When I used to walk to work sometimes, granted not often, a bicyclist would come up silently and fast behind me and surprise me. Only once do I remember a cyclist signaling me with his bell which made me jump and turn around because I had no idea what that was, but I was glad he did that, was correct sidewalk etiquette.

Yes technically they should not be been riding on the sidewalk but you know they’re gonna do with they’re gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Those are all reasons I quit biking. I also quit walking on paths where bikes are allowed and stick to walking in neighborhoods. Reno is very bike unfriendly and many people have been hit by cars.
    The bike trails here are like going through the forest... birds and small animals. We see wild turkeys and yesterday saw a bald eagle for the first time. It is so much cooler than walking on pavement and easier on the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The bike trails here are like going through the forest... birds and small animals. We see wild turkeys and yesterday saw a bald eagle for the first time.
    I will note, however, that geese are about as bad as humans in the "territorial" department. I've had a few hiss at me as I tried to get past them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Tradd, I also don’t do well in heat. I always walk when it’s cool. FO, when I went to graduate school in Menominee, Wisconsin we had a walking/biking trail in the forest next to a river that was beautiful and very wide. I was on it every day.

That sounds so lovely, Terry. There is nothing like a Wisconsin river/forest combination. So beautiful.

There’s definitely things I miss about Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tradd, I also don’t do well in heat. I always walk when it’s cool. FO, when I went to graduate school in Menominee, Wisconsin we had a walking/biking trail in the forest next to a river that was beautiful and very wide. I was on it every day.
    The forest preserve I ride through has part of the path going through a forested area and the rest is on a sort of open prairie/wetlands area.

Due to overcrowding during the plague, the parking lots at many of the county forest preserves have been closed, but you can still bike or walk in. Which really only restricts usage to locals. I wonder if some people park in a nearby neighborhood. I live 1.4 miles from the forest preserve so just ride in. I have to ride along a major road to get there. I ride my bike on the sidewalk. It's much safer. The cops in my suburban town don't care. In Chicago, they'd be ticketing adults riding on the sidewalk if they weren't accompanying kids.

I rarely see anyone walking on the sidewalk along this major street.

Today I am having the skeevies because our goody two-shoes-well-intentioned-but-silly neighborhood effort to provide “support “ to nearby communities focuses on pet food pantry.

I am skeeved because I’m the one who opened my big mouth at the board meeting to suggest perhaps we could think about a charity, assuming we are married to the idea of now providing charitable services, that benefited pets. I suggested one.

Instead they come up with a pet food pantry idea. I have the skeevies because sitting in my basement are large bags of free dog food I got from the very well organized St. Louis pet food pantry effort. This pet food pantry gets donations from pet food companies and gives out food to 501(c)(3) rescue organizations. Because I always have a rescue dog in my house I get food from it.

But now I have to write a check to be part of the neighborhood do-Gooder team because I was responsible for the germ of this stupid idea.

I just cannot wait until this shit is over with.

Thread Information