Page 168 of 422 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 4217

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I hate it when volunteer organizations don't respect your time. For instance, if they say, you need to come to X event. X event will be from 9am-12pm. And then they keep you until 12:30pm.
    I don't like lousy time management either. But if I really need to be out the door when they say the event will be over, I just drop that information when I check in. Then I have no compunction about stopping what I'm doing and reminding them that I have another commitment; they were told.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I would report him. What happens if the pit bulls get out again and maul a smaller or unluckier dog?
    Or a child or person? How would you feel then? Definitely report.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Or a child or person? How would you feel then? Definitely report.
    Agreed only I purposely did not bring up the “what if a child?” trope because I think it is overused in pitbull lore.

But here is the thing: reporting this incident doesnt get the dog owner or dog in trouble, it is simply reporting a fairly serious incident. The dog owner’s behavior gets him into trojble.

It does a service to the community. The local gendarmes will do what they do with the information, that is out of Gardenarian’s hands. And if it results in pitbull euthanasia (which I doubt) then that is tragic. But chit happens, and pitbull owners often are chits.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-26-18 at 4:13pm.

And it eliminates the statement " My dog has never bitten anyone before." Every dog bite should be reported. Does not mean anything should happen but there are very dangerous dogs and some owners out there.

Note: We had a very stupid neighbor move in a very aggressive German Shepherd. Their yard was about 6 feet from our backdoor and we had 4 young kids in the family at that time. No fence and once they tied the dog to the doorknob. Well, dog got loose, chased, and bit my brother. Dad took them to court to get rid of the dog or contain the dog with a good fence. Turns out the dog had bitten before and the owner just moved the dog to another neighborhood. After the court suit, the dog apparently was moved to another state.

It's construction season here; work starts at seven and goes on all day, with banging and crashing, whining and groaning. At least the People Who Mow Too Much aren't much of a bother, 'cuz it hasn't rained, so the grass isn't growing. I drove around the hood a bit this morning and saw three construction sites--and this is an established neighborhood. Between building/demo noise, float planes, and watercraft, it's no wonder I spend half the day with earbuds in and ear protectors over them.
    My next place may be a well-insulated high-rise.

The dog incident: the conversation went well, I said "I have these vet bills..." and he said "I'm so sorry, let me get my checkbook."

We haven't reported it because we've lived near these people for a few years and there has never been a problem. I think I'll go down to the police station to day and talk to them - explain it was probably a one time incident, BUT...

Re: dogs and rescues (interested to hear iris lilies' perspective on this)

Our rescue dog passed away a couple of weeks ago and we've been trying to rehome stuff that's still usable. Chuck & Don's (regional pet store chain) took back the bag of dog food we had just opened; they donate opened bags to local shelters. Some items, like Kongs, were too used to pass on, I think, and the opened bags of treats were either composted or tossed. But we have a toy or two, her slow-down bowl, her leash and harness, some coats, blankets, and heartworm meds which could be used by other dogs at the rescue (all smaller breeds) so I emailed the rescue from which we got Dog -- both the foster and the person ostensibly in charge of the operation.

We heard from the foster right away. She's moved out of state so she's no longer associated with this rescue. We have yet to hear from the person in charge. It's been almost a week. Not even a quick one-line "Gee I'm really swamped but yes, we're interested." or "Sorry, we can't take used items." This reminded me that we tried one other time to donate unused toys and clothing and heard ... crickets. Same person. I thought that was a one-timer but now I'm not so sure.

I understand most (all?) rescues run on a shoestring. I realize everyone associated with them has a source of income that demands their attention on a regular basis so I didn't even expect to hear from the foster so quickly. I also know that a lot of shelters/rescues are started by people who are 100% heart and 0% business. But is this de rigeur for contacting clients who are offering usable free stuff? Nevermind transacting the business; even just acknowledging clients? I'm thinking of waiting till Monday and then offering these items to another shelter/rescue. Reasonable?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes give them to another shelter. When my little female Maltese died I gave away all her stuff because it would be too painful to see it on another one of my dogs. They were happy to get the stuff.

I took our cat's thyroid meds to the vet; she donated them to a rescue. Same thing with my cairn's very expensive antibiotic prescription that did not save her. Small harnesses, etc. I take the Humane society, and they take them. I would not worry about a specific rescue, just take to Humane society and throw five dollars in the jar while you are there and say prayer of thanks for the loved one you have lost.

One of saddest things I ever saw was going through my parents' dresser drawers and found a lock of hair attached to my dad's little Australian terrier's collar--he had saved a lock of his hair. The doggie has been gone thirty years.

A minor peeve: retail workers who greet me, the customer, when my back is turned and I'm examining some merchandise. Happened again this morning: didn't hear them, didn't know anyone was behind me until they were literally inches away, and then I hear a booming Hello!
    Startled me so much I put down what I was looking at and walked out.
    I know they are required to greet everyone but, common sense, please...!

Thread Information