Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
Your rant makes me think of one of my son's stories:

My son works in the restaurant industry. He's a server in a casual restaurant. One time he had to cut bread as a side job just before getting a table. He forgot to brush himself off. He went up to the table and and introduced himself, and in response to his polite introduction, the customer (who was with a friend) said to him, "You're disgusting!" My son said, "Excuse me?" She replied, "You're FILTHY!" He looked down and saw he had forgotten to brush crumbs off his black pants.

He said, politely, "I'm sorry, ma'am, if you would like I could get you a different server." She declined. His coworkers heard the exchange and all offered to take the table, but. my son said, "No, I can handle this." I have no idea what transpired over the course of that service with that customer, but when she left, she left him a $130 tip on an $80 bill. I was really proud that he took up the challenge to return hostility with kindness. BUT we had the same question: what makes people so MEAN????

Civility is out the window, and I agree--we baby boomers can sometimes act like a bunch of entitled children.
She left him a $130 tip? Did his kindness cause her generosity and kindness in return?