Page 201 of 422 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 4213

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

It helps in many ways but boy when the rants start about those with less or some minor panhandling or a neighbor (who was a city councilor) not keeping up their property to some unwritten standards, it gets awful fast. I just had a poster contact me and tell me he hoped no one found my address and came to my door knocking.... as an implied threat. Wished him success and peace and will ignore him from now on. I wonder why he thinks antagonizing and threatening neighbors will result in any assistance from those neighbors?

It is something we all could brainstorm about if he would organize a topic with police involvement for a neighborhood association meeting. But maybe he wants that all powerful "somebody else" to fix his problems. Arrrggggg.

That is really hard to deal with, Sweetana. Sad to see when the neighbourhood has done well until now. Sounds like some have too much time on their hands.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh sweetana I am one of the ones who sounds the alert about panhandlers, I’m sick and tired of them around here. We have three chronic panhandlers, all women, one of them aggressive.

I don’t always write messages to
    Nextdoor because I think it’s a waste of time. That is, unless I am gathering information to give to the cops, Then I might poll my neighbors about which panhandlers they saw on what day.

There are too many on Nextdoor who I think of as bleeding hearts who will push back about anyone who complains about panhandlers. Sorry, but not sorry. I do not want panhandlers on my Block, on my property, in my area. I do not like them Sam I am!

As for people keeping up their property I am all over that, and I am involved In our neighborhood’s process for several problem properties. But I don’t post on next-door about that because it’s a waste of time. Just blathering on Nextdoor about sensitive topics is a very big waste of time, in general.

I am happy to learn that Hermann is now a Nextdoor site So I will be joining the Herman group when I can figure out how to join a second account.

These are the only situations that could cause a misdemeanor regarding panhandling in Indiana according to the police: Touching somebody without consent, Blocking somebody's path, Using profane language, Following somebody after they refuse to give money, and Intimidation.

This issue rapidly developed into name calling and veiled threats in posts and private messages by two men on Nextdoor. All the two men managed to do is to alienate any reasonable neighbors. Could have been a much more productive discussion. I have withdrawn from their drama.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I amA moderator for Nextdoor. They are called “leads” there. Nextdoor is brilliant for finding lost pets.
    Hahaha! Among the posts my friend forwards are those from a busybody who's always complaining that my friend's cat is hanging around when the aforementioned cat is snoozing right next to her. She snaps a picture and sends it, which shuts the busybody up--'til the next time, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    As for people keeping up their property I am all over that, and I am involved In our neighborhood’s process for several problem properties. But I don’t post on next-door about that because it’s a waste of time. Just blathering on Nextdoor about sensitive topics is a very big waste of time, in general.
    Our NextDoor seems to specialize in people who seem to have little empathy for anyone who isn't a highly-ambulatory property owner. They moan mightily about residents where the grass on the lot is a little unkempt (not city-ordinance high, just kinda patchy or weedy and the bushes are suckering big-time). Or maybe the snow hangs around a little too long before it's scraped off the sidewalk. They don't seem to consider that maybe the inhabitants at the end of that particular walk are renting the place and the (absentee) landlord is responsible for getting that stuff done, or that the homeowner who's lived in the house for decades maybe isn't so surefooted anymore so they don't get down on their knees to pull weeds or get to clear the snow (especially the plow leavings) very quickly and may not have the local friends/family/income to do the job for them.

It's virtue signaling dressed up as "neighborhood involvement" and "concerned property ownership". It's really about people posting before they actually get to know their neighbors, not just guess what they must be like. As you know, there are municipal outlets for true habitual problem properties. Complaining on NextDoor about how #716 Main Street's got all kinds of cardboard boxes piled up in their enclosed front porch and how the drapes don't hide them all doesn't do anything positive. Waste of a Web site IMHO. At least ours is.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have never seen a panhandler on anyone’s property. I see them downtown on public streets or at a shopping center, intersection, park, etc. I would not want them in my yard either.

Our NextDoor group finds lost pets and sells peoples excess stuff along with discussing Township business. In the year or so I've been a member I haven't seen any neighbor complaints or general bitchiness, I don't think I would have stuck with it if it was used like some of you are describing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Steve that’s terrible.

Rave or rant? You decide.

I was rummaging around in our cupboard looking for home canned dill pickles and I ran across what I think is the final stash of vintage fruit. The oldest one was a can of cherries from 1998.

I could rant about why we have so much uneaten canned food products, or I could rave because we have so many canned food products.

It is a crazy world we live in.

Thread Information