Page 205 of 422 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

That plastic tumbler I mentioned in the "But it still works" thread? Turns out there is something that can kill it: Cascade Action Pods.

In an effort to be frugal, DW took the dishwasher pods her mother left in her house when she moved to assisted living. Ran one of them instead of our regular Seventh Generation and the entire dishwasher stank to high whatever. I cannot believe there are enough people who want their dishes to smell like that that Cascade makes money at this. Even the ceramic and metal items smelled.

The Cascade support people recommended running a regular dishwasher cycle with a (plastic -- ha!) bowl of vinegar (and nothing else); we've done that twice and it knocks down the smell but hasn't killed it completely. Maybe this third time on a three-hour cycle will do the trick. They also recommended washing the ceramic/glass/metal objects with dish soap and water. That seemed to have eradicated the odor from them. But they then said to hand-wash plastic items from now on. I did not spend money on a dishwasher to hand-wash plastics. I've used Seventh Generation for more than half a generation and never had this issue with them.

I threw the other pods away as soon as we noticed the problem. I've already thrown away a pot of coffee (which picked up the odor) and I just sent the coffee carafe, two plastic cutting boards, and the tumbler to the trash. Frugal my Aunt Fanny. Colgate-Palmolive ought to weaponize that scent.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Wow Steve that’s awful. I put plastic in the top rack also. I use liquid detergent. Pods are such a waste of money.

There seems to be a war on trees in my area. People buy a house and then cut down all the trees on the property. Neighbors across the street are taking down a beautiful majestic tree in their backyard that already has an erosion problem from the river. It's the last tree remaining on the property and it makes me want to cry.
    This neighbor has also removed all shrubs and flowers from the property, so there is nothing remaining but turf. It's not like he's clearing away the trees for his iris and lily garden or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    There seems to be a war on trees in my area. People buy a house and then cut down all the trees on the property. Neighbors across the street are taking down a beautiful majestic tree in their backyard that already has an erosion problem from the river. It's the last tree remaining on the property and it makes me want to cry.
    This neighbor has also removed all shrubs and flowers from the property, so there is nothing remaining but turf. It's not like he's clearing away the trees for his iris and lily garden or anything.
    This makes me sick. We used to see quite a bit of it--are they people freshly arrived from a desert area who are intimidated by nature? If so, I wish they had stuck to their scrubby home turf.

Jane: We think they are city folks who move to the burbs and then decide they would prefer it to be more city-like. This latest victim must be well over 100 years old, so these decisions are pretty much irreversible in our lifetimes.

Trees are The Enemy. Just sayin’

We are those people who bought an old house overgrown with junk trees and unkept shrubs. The previous owners, lovely people, kinda liked the wildness and they were bird people. But they only lived there for a year, the overgrowth was rampant well before they bought it.

DH has been felling trees there for a year. Literally he cuts down 20-30+ foot trees, chops them up, stacks the wood, and burns out the stumps. Wild vines were obscuring the trees, so all of that had to go too. There are about 10 more trees left in the once-junk tree forest and I want to hire a tree company to drop the biggest ones.

But all of that is scrubby junk trees. If our neighbors do not like it, too bad.

But umm, we are going to have to take down one tree in the front of this house, a nice old shade tree. It will go down because we will build a garage and it is in the way. For that, people may judge us harshly and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Trees are The Enemy.

Just sayin’
    IL, you are a delightful enjoyable lovable presence except for this major flaw of character. How can anyone not love trees?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Jane: We think they are city folks who move to the burbs and then decide they would prefer it to be more city-like. This latest victim must be well over 100 years old, so these decisions are pretty much irreversible in our lifetimes.
    I've always figured they were from Southern California (handy scapegoat) whose knee-jerk response to anything green was to pave over it or put up the tackiest of developments...

We have 3 beautiful fruit trees in the backyard that I have a love/hate relationship with. They drop fruit endlessly. Most is not edible but just makes endless messes. They do provide shade for the back of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But umm, we are going to have to take down one tree in the front of this house, a nice old shade tree. It will go down because we will build a garage and it is in the way. For that, people may judge us harshly and rightly so.
    Could you send it up here? Looks like we're going to lose our big black walnut in the front yard to consecutive storm damage.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information