Page 112 of 421 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

rodeosweetheart
    I hate it when students end letters to me with "Cheers" as though we're on this chummy journey together, shipboard.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    There is only one other person of sound mind and body who can do stuff. She's the one who made the commitment to the Big Thing in 2017 and I stepped in to help her. The oldsters do not deserve my help, but she does.
    I came here to post my somewhat-related rant and read these posts. Ugh. My sympathies, IL. My question is, what's the worst that happens if (collective) you don't do The Big Thing? It kind of sounds like you're out of business in two years regardless.

My rant is about a Web site of community resources that someone outside of our organization sold well enough to receive (private) grant money to build -- but not enough money to maintain. They were hopelessly optimistic about community buy-in and interest ("They'll do it for free!" "We'll be greeted as liberators!"). Now, of course, the database is unusable. And now the organization that thought this was such a great idea (but not enough to fund it adequately) wants to ship this tire fire to our organization. I'm the only one in our organization with enough of IT background to see what's happening and I've been resisting mightily. My best course of action may be to remove myself from this particular project and continue working on things like bylaws, procedures, financial reports, etc. (we didn't have those either before this year, but at least dementia hasn't set in here and we know where we spent our money).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by rodeosweetheart View Post
    I hate it when students end letters to me with "Cheers" as though we're on this chummy journey together, shipboard.
    Oh no! I use "cheers!" all the time. I find it, well, cheerful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I came here to post my somewhat-related rant and read these posts. Ugh. My sympathies, IL. My question is, what's the worst that happens if (collective) you don't do The Big Thing? It kind of sounds like you're out of business in two years regardless.

My rant is about a Web site of community resources that someone outside of our organization sold well enough to receive (private) grant money to build -- but not enough money to maintain. They were hopelessly optimistic about community buy-in and interest ("They'll do it for free!" "We'll be greeted as liberators!"). Now, of course, the database is unusable. And now the organization that thought this was such a great idea (but not enough to fund it adequately) wants to ship this tire fire to our organization. I'm the only one in our organization with enough of IT background to see what's happening and I've been resisting mightily. My best course of action may be to remove myself from this particular project and continue working on things like bylaws, procedures, financial reports, etc. (we didn't have those either before this year, but at least dementia hasn't set in here and we know where we spent our money).
    The Big Thing is a national conference, and we told th national organization that they could use our state tax exempt number in order to save about $2,000 in taxes. Then a few months later the competent person and I discovered that our organization's exempt status expired in 2007. No one had bothered to keep it up, and it's a boatload of paperwork that I'm completing to set it up again.

So this thing working on is only worth $2000 and if I don't do it right, I guess the national organization is out $2,000.

ah yes, things built with grant money and then abandoned. I see them all over our neighborhood. Do not get sucked into the IT abyss!

our organization is SO lucky to have a professional web designer maintain our website, it's the
    ONLY positive thing about our organization. she is also the other competent person in the organization.

Why can't dish soap manufacturers put their products in bottles you can easily hold with wet hands? I usually have to wrap them in rubber bands, and sometimes that doesn't help. I'm looking at you, Dawn.

Williamsmith
    JaneV2.0....... You want both a great product and a well designed bottle? Plus all those waterfowl and ocean birds and mammals they have saved. I think thou dost protest a little too much. Dawn is in the dish detergent Hall of Fame, first ballot you know. Now if you want to pick on Ivory liquid ....well that's clearly an under achiever.

I suppose that's too much to ask for. I suppose I could wrap the bottle in a plastic scrubby...

You want a horrible bottle, try Method. More or less square, slippery and impossible to squeeze with a stingy little opening. Personally I buy the gigantic size of Dawn, and pour some in a small plastic bottle that used to hold agave syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    You want a horrible bottle, try Method. More or less square, slippery and impossible to squeeze with a stingy little opening. Personally I buy the gigantic size of Dawn, and pour some in a small plastic bottle that used to hold agave syrup.
    This.
    I put mine in a ball jar with pump and leave it setting on the edge of the sink. A few pumps and I'm set.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Williamsmith
    Okay, so the wife likes to watch HGTV but if I see another episode of Flip or Flop , Property Brothers or Fixer Upper for the fifth rerun........part of my head will explode. And when I tell her I've see this episode at least five times......I get nothing....no response.......is she even still alive? Did some alien network taken over her brain?

Thread Information