Page 120 of 422 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 4212

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

My rant/peeve is that PBS no longer shows programs as long as it used to. It used to hold on to shows a bit longer and I could catch up. Now they seem to cycle them very quickly. I missed last weeks Granchester episode....now I have to watch episode 2 without seeing episode 1. Quick! Too quick!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I am annoyed with recycling. It is just hard. I have been recycling since before everyone cared, even had a compost bin at a couple places. But the recycling dumpster is in another parking lot and I carry down purse, laptop bag and lunch everyday. I don't have another hand to work with. So I express this to 2 people and they both respond basically that it doesn't matter, the stuff doesn't really get recycled or it has a low impact. I know they are trying to be supportive however it felt more de-valuing after years of my environmental focus. Cloth grocery bags, bring lunch in re-usable containers with a cloth napkin and my own utensils, running camp with a 'low landfill' plan, etc. I just hate throwing this stuff in the trash,
    If I said to you, "Recycling is a waste of time and money." You might be angry with me. But you of course know there are different types and processes of recycling. And you should also know that not all people can be trusted to do what they say they are doing with recycled materials especially if there is a public tax or subsidy involved. So naming something has nothing to do with knowing anything about it.

There are differences in efficiencies between materials. Aluminum is perhaps the best material to recycle because it has a relatively high value. The rest of the stuff is worthless and costs energy to handle. Then you have different methods....voluntary delivery, buy back and curbside as well as dumping in landfills and all have different degrees of value and some of no value and even more costing more energy and creating more environmental damage than just burying it in a landfill.

In fact, the best methods of recycling that addresses inorganic and organic differences hardly exist because no one is making money on them.

And so, you could say that very likely becoming dissappointed with another persons lack of care in discarding recyclables is merely an exercise is mental snobbery and that likely your well intentioned recycling is of no greater benefit to the environment than your neighbors dumping everything in the trash. That is unless you have personally traced the downstream path of your discarded recyclables and verified its return to usefulness, you make many assumptions that have no basis in knowledge or science.

As in everything there is a great difference between having an understanding and knowing. Now you can throw almost everything in the trash and sleep with a clear conscience.

I am angry because the car I bought new and now has 73,000 is burning oil. GM 4 cylinders have a known problem of the rings going bad and letting oil bypass.
    We can't find any leaks, nor can the dealership. They are trying to tell me that adding 3 quarts of oil between changes is not excessive and will only result in fouled spark plugs. I will have to say I've lost all respect for the brand and the dealership.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I am angry because the car I bought new and now has 73,000 is burning oil. GM 4 cylinders have a known problem of the rings going bad and letting oil bypass.
    We can't find any leaks, nor can the dealership. They are trying to tell me that adding 3 quarts of oil between changes is not excessive and will only result in fouled spark plugs. I will have to say I've lost all respect for the brand and the dealership.
    Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Toyota
    +1

Toyota
    Toyota of the "sludge-o-matic" transmission? Toyota of the exploding air bags? Toyota of the sticky power-window switches? Toyota of the faulty airbag cable, seat rails, and starter?

Umm-kay.

There was a point, maybe 20 years ago, when one paid the price for a Toyota and got an unexciting boringly dependable car which sold at a higher price than the competition -- but at least was pretty near bulletproof and you could get some of the price premium back at trade-in/sale time. That Toyota no longer exists. They still may be above average in reliability (well, Scion doesn't seem to do all that well, but they're dead now), but Toyota is far from bulletproof now and they recall cars by the millions just like so many other manufacturers.

Maybe the only brand I could recommend as trouble-free is Rolls-Royce. But most of us can't afford those.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    If you consider Consumer Reports a reliable source , Toyota receives top billing in almost every category across the board. I have owned the following makes.....Datsun, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevrolet, Pontiac, many Fords, a few Hyundais, and a Subaru. My Toyota Tacoma is quite bulletproof and the best of them all.

+1 on Toyota.
    I had Hondas or Toyotas for many years, and then dipped my toe back in to the U.S. auto market by buying a 5 year old used Ford station wagon. A few months later I had to replace the gas tank which had started leaking. The gas tank. On a 5 year old car.
    Couldn't return fast enough to Toyota.

Had all my Hondas to well over 100,000 trouble free miles. Last one was just to 200,000 when it was totaled in an accident involving a semi. One before that was totaled in an accident hubby walked away from with only a bruise. They are reliable, long lasting, and safe little cars. One of them, four or five cars ago, is still on the road and was passed down in a family of 5 kids as the kid car.

Two Hondas in the garage and plan on keeping them forever or until a really special safety device comes out as hubby loves his right side camera right now.

Went to a garage sale yesterday where everything was donation only. Nothing was marked. I HATE THAT!!! Tell me what you want. I was looking for cookie scoops and the woman said she had some of her mothers that she would part with. She came out with two...1 and 1 1/2 inch scoops made by Pampered Chef.... exactly what I wanted. I asked her how much and she said just put what you feel in the donation box for her mother who is in assisted living. I put in what I thought I would pay at a garage sale and came back later with a dozen chocolate chip cookies I had baked using the scoops for her mother. I'm thrilled with the cookie scoops but not sure if I gave enough. Rant and peeve in one!

Thread Information