Page 174 of 421 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Mschris, how interesting about Absorbine Jr. Did you know that it is called that because Absorbine Sr is for horses, and they modified it for people?

She should have told you as soon as she knew. What if you had plans? Very rude.

There is such a thing as a hotel.

Geila, The word is NO, I'm so sorry but you can't stay here. I'll find a hotel near us for you. but, I know that is hard to do.

Geila
    Yes, it's very rude. We live in an expensive city that is popular to visit and have had this problem for a long time. I've bellyached about it here plenty in the past. The Best Western by our house, a very modest and basic one, has rates of over $200 per night. I do hate being inconvenienced and having my day taken over for preparations when people want to stay here. And what I really hate is that people are getting more inconsiderate all the time. A few years ago my niece called and said she was in town and could she come over that evening to visit and stay the night with her kids. I said no.

I normally enjoy this aunt that's coming tonight but I'm really bugged by how she just assumed she could stay here without asking or any notice. So I'm not looking forward to her visit. There is a part of me that wants to be equally rude right back and not wash the sheets or do any prep at all and play the same game: Sorry! If I'd known you were coming to stay I would have made everything nice for you. Hope you don't mind!

I have never had anyone do that. I have to invite people as they don’t just assume they can stay here. When we go home I let people know I am coming but don’t assume I can stay with them either. We always get a invite and take them up on it only when coming with one small dog. Any more and we decline. Next time this happens say you have other plans and maybe people will plan ahead.

Geila
    The secondary problem is that both dh and I have huge families and for many years we warmly welcomed anyone who wanted to stay here, even though it royally stressed me out and caused a ton of work, because that's how we were both raised - that you never turn family away. We had also opened our doors to his friends anytime they wanted. So the boundary setting has to keep happening over and over again.

I do wish I had I said we were busy and could not accommodate my aunt, because I'm afraid that this visit will damage our relationship. I'm having much less tolerance for rudeness than I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    The secondary problem is that both dh and I have huge families and for many years we warmly welcomed anyone who wanted to stay here, even though it royally stressed me out and caused a ton of work, because that's how we were both raised - that you never turn family away. We had also opened our doors to his friends anytime they wanted. So the boundary setting has to keep happening over and over again.
    You're busier, you don't have the energy you used to have, and (maybe/definitely) you're using the room differently than you were. Things have changed. I think you have the reasons to change your policy. It may be too late to say no to Rude Aunt, but you can start with the next potential visitor. And the answer doesn't have to be an unequivocal 'no', either. Maybe you'll restrict the policy to n total family visits a year or only to people who let you know a month ahead of time they'd like to come (and ask if it if fits into your schedule) or whatever compromise your time and energy and values allow. You drive this train...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I ordered a new diving drysuit 3 weeks ago when I got back from my Lake Huron trip. Diving 48F water is doable in a wetsuit, but it’s so much more comfortable in a drysuit. Found a model that I fit into the stock size. Yay! Shop gave me a good deal.

I was told a week later it had shipped from mfg. Turns out mfg rep gave my dive shop bad info. Dive shop gave me a loaner drysuit (same size, similar model) from their rental fleet to use until mine comes in. So I’m getting used to diving dry again after a year of diving wet. I lost so much weight old drysuit was too big.

Shop owner told me Tuesday it had shipped Monday. Turns out mfg rep is an idiot. She saw a suit had shipped to my shop, but hadn’t bothered to confirm it was my suit.

My dive shop sells a lot of these drysuits and is one of the largest US dealers for this large, well known diving gear mfg. Shop has a big online presence as well as being a Chicago area shop. The owner is at the end of his rope. Yesterday he sent me a screen shot of an email from the mfg rep. Turns out the rep is still using AOL. All credibility went out the window when I saw that, on top of being told my suit had shipped twice when it hadn’t.

Who still uses AOL? Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

Who still uses AOL? Dang.
    amazingly quite a few people. I'm always shocked when someone gives me an AOL email but it happens quite a bit.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information