Page 204 of 421 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The way I understand it only earned income, SS and pensions count. Assets don’t count which is why millionaires get subsidies. The way I understand it he would need to take Medicaid for 3 months.
    We file jointly. We have household income. Medicaid is not an option.The Obama care account is in my name all the mail comes to me. If it was an individual kind of account, he would be getting the mail but he is on “my” account. Yet another thing I don’t understand since I am completely off of Obamacare now.

i guess if I need to hire him as a 1099 employee to cut down trees in Hermann, I can do that. That would give him income. Or we just buy catastrophic private insurance for 3 months and pay the mf Obamacare I.r.s penalty, Although as I think about it, those penalties are not being collected in the Trump regime.

I don’t understand either IL.

Just got a call from our mail-order prescription provider, the one we've been using for 2-3 years now without much of a hitch. At least they had the good sense to call using their known outgoing number so it showed up on my phone as them, otherwise the entire call would have sounded like a phishing expedition. Since the only reasons they've called in the past have been problems that needed to be solved (Rx expired; CC expired, etc), I picked up the call.

Before they would talk with me, however, they demanded my full name and birth date. This information has never been necessary when they've left voicemails about these matters. The purpose, the agent stated, is "verification". No, that is what you're doing at the moment. Why do I have to provide this information before you'll talk to me on a call you initiated? "I can't tell you that until I verify your information." OK, it's a new world. Because 9/11; whatever. I watch a lot of security theater.

I provide my full name and date of birth. Then he asks for my address. He needs the full address. *shrug* I give it to him but leave off the ZIP code. "And what is the ZIP code, sir?" "Is the rest of the address correct?" "Yes." "Then you have the ZIP code already. I gave you enough to prove it's me." The agent moves on.

I guess what they needed to verify is if I want to renew a couple of Rxes that are coming up soon. What?? No. I will renew them when I need to, over the secured Web site, as I have done for the past 2+ years without about zero problems. He leaves that alone and asks how I would like to be notified of Rx renewals and shipments and such? Umm, via email, just like it's worked for the last few years.
    "And what is your email address?"
    "What do you have for my address?"
    "I need to confirm your email address; could you give it to me?"
    "It's the same one you guys have used successfully for the last 2+ years."
    "And what is that address?"
    "You don't need me to tell you what it is. You have a valid address. You've already validated who I am through my full name and birthdate and most of my mailing address and, obviously, a phone number that I answered. Why can't you ask if the one you have is the one I want to use -- even something oblique like 'It starts with I and ends with blah.com, is that correct'"? And why do we even need a phone call for this? This should be done on your Web site given that I've already indicated I want to do business with you guys via the Web."
    "I can't give you the email address I have listed in your record."
    "Do you have a supervisor?"
    "Yes, sir."

The supervisor said that they needed the information for HIPAA (hmm -- didn't think HIPAA required asking if I want to renew prescriptions). I suggested that I already passed whatever validation they required so they obviously were talking with me and that I was not providing any more information. If, indeed, the call was to make sure the information they had was still correct, they could tell validated-me what information they had and ask if it was still correct. She acquiesced. "Is your email address irateguy at blah dot com?" Confirmed.

"I will talk with the agent as we discuss skills." It's not the agent. It's the script they gave him that most people are cowed into answering. Next time I'll just let it roll to voicemail. Never asked me the questions before; they never will again.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I agree, it does sound like a phishing expedition, using number spoofing and medical id fraud. I would be writing a letter to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I agree, it does sound like a phishing expedition, using number spoofing and medical id fraud. I would be writing a letter to them.
    I don't think so. The call rang in using a number I already have for the company, so they showed up as such when the phone rang. And, when I pressed them on it, they had the correct information for me.

My issue is the way they asked for the information right out and in bulk. They could have handled it much better by validating the person answering the phone with information only they should have had and then asking questions by reference. "Are you still on Main Street?" would be enough of a question to jog a customer to say, "Oh, yeah, we moved three months ago" and prompt a request for the new address. And if the call ostensibly was to keep their records up to date, there's no reason they should have offered to re-up Rxes I have with them (which they listed by proper name and dosage).

It was just incredibly ham-fisted of them and it bothers me that they think people will just answer the questions. That is how social engineering works and how it leads to fraud. More people need to know they can challenge the incessant requests for information. If you have my street address, city, and state, you don't need to validate on ZIP code; you can look it up. Considering this is the same outfit that has no compunction leaving messages on my voicemail asking me to call them to resolve one issue or another, without making me prove who I am on the voicemail, the name-rank-serial number routine rubbed me the wrong way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I don't think so. The call rang in using a number I already have for the company, so they showed up as such when the phone rang. And, when I pressed them on it, they had the correct information for me.

My issue is the way they asked for the information right out and in bulk. They could have handled it much better by validating the person answering the phone with information only they should have had and then asking questions by reference. "Are you still on Main Street?" would be enough of a question to jog a customer to say, "Oh, yeah, we moved three months ago" and prompt a request for the new address. And if the call ostensibly was to keep their records up to date, there's no reason they should have offered to re-up Rxes I have with them (which they listed by proper name and dosage).

It was just incredibly ham-fisted of them and it bothers me that they think people will just answer the questions. That is how social engineering works and how it leads to fraud. More people need to know they can challenge the incessant requests for information. If you have my street address, city, and state, you don't need to validate on ZIP code; you can look it up. Considering this is the same outfit that has no compunction leaving messages on my voicemail asking me to call them to resolve one issue or another, without making me prove who I am on the voicemail, the name-rank-serial number routine rubbed me the wrong way.
    ham fisted and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

ham fisted and annoying.

Opened my work email today to find a message not for me, but for my spouse. We haven't heard from this person in probably 10 years or more. Last week he PMd me on Facebook Messenger. He must have Googled my name, found my workplace and then emailed me. We are also not friends on FB. I don't know about you, but I think it's highly inappropriate to email someone at work when you don't even know if their messages/computer usage is being monitored.

I think it's highly inappropriate to email someone at work when you don't even know if their messages/computer usage is being monitored.
    A couple of times a year I would get unsolicited emails from recruiters to my work email. Really??? You think I'm going to answer you on my work email that I'm interested in discussing other jobs??

Lately I find that I am disappointed in people. Recently met with a few "friends" that are interested in herbal medicine. I bought 2 books about Acupressure and lifted one up and asked if they had them. One said yes and so I said ok, I'll keep this one since I did not keep one for myself. The gal stated she did want the book so I gave it to her anyways. So, then a day later she emails me that she is going to visit a relative that is into herbs,etc and will take the book with her.... insinuating she will give it to her. She knew I did not have one for myself and gives away the book that she already had. I think this is truly RUDE. Thinking it is time to move on to other people.
    Last edited by frugal-one; 7-16-19 at 4:12pm.

Thread Information