Page 217 of 422 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 4218

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    SSI is for poor people that don’t qualify for regular Ss and it’s a small amount.
    So, he doesn't have to be 65, blind, or disabled? These qualifications are listed all over the Google articles about SSI.

It sounds to me like he has a disability based on what Catherine has said. Yes SSI is for poor people that meet this other criteria. I don’t have to look it up because I know it but forget that others probably don’t. If he doesn’t have a diagnosis he can probably get one.

It sounds to me like he has a disability based on what Catherine has said. Yes SSI is for poor people that meet this other criteria. I don’t have to look it up because I know it but forget that others probably don’t. If he doesn’t have a diagnosis he can probably get one.
    Oh we all know that people can collect SSI based upon a disability. I think the question is 'What makes you think Catherine's brother is disabled rather than just uninspired by responsibility?'
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If I remember correctly I thought she said he had a intellectual disability. It could be he’s just lazy and then will have to wait for age 65.

I like the idea of getting on the waiting list for affordable senior housing. I think he can do that while still having some money in the bank.

OK, this bolded above signals the meat of this discussion.

Here is where your expertise can enlighten us : what is involved with this guy of California citizenry getting a diagnosis that meets the criteria for “disabled? “

My uneducated internet-random-person’s opinion is that there IS an intellectual disability here with the BIL, a mild one. Not only does he have trouble with executive function, he showed evidence of some kind of learning impairment when his brother tried to explain classwork from the community college course to him.This latter experience could be explained by the BIL never having to challenge his brain, so he doesn’t have practice at it. Or maybe he cant grasp abstract concepts. Or something.

How would this show up on any test? What test would he be given? Can he hire a tester who would be more friendly to his case? Are California testers generally more lenient then elsewhere because California?

I am interested in the whole testing process which you know about.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-11-19 at 3:35pm.

The testing is done by a psychologist and would include IQ testing. If his IQ is below 70 he would qualify. He could also examined for a MI but it would need to be fairly severe to qualify. A LD probably won’t do it. SS makes their own determination based on medical records. Testing is straight forward and are facts. You can’t like someone so diagnose them with a ID if that’s not the facts. Strict criteria is required and isn’t different between states. I based my comments on what Catherine said but for all I know he doesn’t have a disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Oh we all know that people can collect SSI based upon a disability. I think the question is 'What makes you think Catherine's brother is disabled rather than just uninspired by responsibility?'
    I feel it's 75% the latter and 25% the former. I think my MIL stunted his functional growth by enabling the heck out him, but the reason he's not working is because he can avoid it for the time being. And, truthfully, there is a limit to his skill set. His intellectual disability is that he really has no clue about life in general, and he missed out on opportunities to learn job skills--even his basic computer skills are dismal. Last April, I had to teach him (for the 5th time) how to attach a word document to an email.

I think applying for senior affordable housing is the best idea. I was pushing him to invest his money in a cheap mobile home in a cheap place like Florida. I told him a million times as long as he has a car and a roof over his head, he'll be fine, but now I'm afraid he'll blow through the money that could give him at least that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am worried that he will have just enough money to get back to you and your DH who will not be able to say no to him when he comes looking for support. It has worked so far after your MIL died and it will work again unless you make some very different decisions regarding BIL in your life. A size of a small house is not enough defence as he will want to sleep on your sofa. He is as smart as he needs to be to survive.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am worried that he will have just enough money to get back to you and your DH who will not be able to say no to him when he comes looking for support. It has worked so far after your MIL died and it will work again unless you make some very different decisions regarding BIL in your life. A size of a small house is not enough defence as he will want to sleep on your sofa. He is as smart as he needs to be to survive.
    My fear as well

Thread Information