Page 218 of 422 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 4219

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

It might be time for your husband to attend Alanon meetings to learn how not to be co-dependent. We went through this for years with my middle son who has a drug addiction. He has been homeless more than once and is now. Both my ex and I will talk to him on the phone but have made it clear he can’t live with either of us and we are done sending money. It’s heartbreaking and the hardest thing either of us has ever had to do.

I lost 2.5 years of my life.

By MISTAKE, I upgraded to Sierra. I got daily notifications to upgrade, and I constantly chose "Remind me tomorrow" because there was no option for "Stop harassing me." I must have clicked on the wrong choice when I was in a hurry, because when I rebooted my computer, all the wheels started turning and now I'm in Sierra.

I do have iCloud, so thank God I didn't lose anything, but my journal, which I have written in since 1964, over the past years was captured on an app called DayOne. Well, it seems that the computer restored stuff and it wiped out everything after March 2017 (previous data is in an exported format on a separate computer).

I don't write for publication. I don't even write for someone to read about me when I'm gone. I write to feel and to put words to my feelings. So, really, I suppose it's not a huge deal, although I was really upset yesterday.

The other reason I write is to timestamp life events. Thankfully, I haven't used my journal that much for that lately because I do so much writing on this forum as well as other discussion boards.

But what a bummer!!!! Rereading old journals has helped me dust off the past and put my feelings in perspective. Through it, I see how time warps the reality of the past. It has served a good purpose for me. I hate having lost feelings around losing my dog, having two of my grandchildren, buying the house in Grand Isle, going through a rough winter last year. But so be it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh catherine, I’m sorry to hear that!

Not surprisingly to some of you, I use this site as kind of a life journal. I often go back and read my past posts to see what I was reading back then, what I was thinking back then etc.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The testing is done by a psychologist and would include IQ testing. If his IQ is below 70 he would qualify. He could also examined for a MI but it would need to be fairly severe to qualify. A LD probably won’t do it. SS makes their own determination based on medical records. Testing is straight forward and are facts. You can’t like someone so diagnose them with a ID if that’s not the facts. Strict criteria is required and isn’t different between states. I based my comments on what Catherine said but for all I know he doesn’t have a disability.
    What is to stop a person smart enough to know what the wrong answers are to deliberately flunk the IQ test in order to get disability?

I am more and more of the opinion we should scrap all our social welfare programs and go with UBI. There are people so beaten down by life they can't deal with the paperwork and bureaucracy to get benefits they deserve, including mentally ill people living on the streets, and undeserving people who through persistence or a good lawyer get benefits they don't deserve. UBI for all citizens would avoid these problems, though I think create others, like addicts having more money to OD with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am more and more of the opinion we should scrap all our social welfare programs and go with UBI. There are people so beaten down by life they can't deal with the paperwork and bureaucracy to get benefits they deserve, including mentally ill people living on the streets, and undeserving people who through persistence or a good lawyer get benefits they don't deserve. UBI for all citizens would avoid these problems, though I think create others, like addicts having more money to OD with.
    You make great points. You are right that the bureaucracy is daunting even to the mentally able. UBI levels the playing field, takes away the social stigma of benefiting from certain programs, and also helps transition people from a manufacturing economy to a new world economy, which we are on the brink of, frankly. At least that's Andrew Yang's argument.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    What is to stop a person smart enough to know what the wrong answers are to deliberately flunk the IQ test in order to get disability?

Of course.When Teacher Terry says those test scores are absolutes, well, I dont think so.

It is true that there is an absolute number resulting from a testing situation, but does that number accurately reflect what the test is intended to measure? Yes, No, and maybe, depending on the circumstances.

Sure, ideally UBI removes obstacles in dealing with the gubmnt bureaucracy that hands out resources. I just dont understand how ya’ll expect, for instance, catherine’s BIL to live the last 10 days of the month when he blew his UBI check during the first 20 days. And his rent is due on the 25 of the month.

That is why the gifts from Nanny G are item specific—EBT benefits are for food and only food. Senior housing gives you a roof and only a roof. Bus vouchers work only on the bus, not UBERing to the gambling parlor. Medicare benefits treat your health and only your health. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh catherine, I’m sorry to hear that!

Not surprisingly to some of you, I use this site as kind of a life journal. I often go back and read my past posts to see what I was reading back then, what I was thinking back then etc.
    Yes, I do have a lot of data about my life right here, so hopefully Alan keeps paying the bill and the site doesn't go down!

First of all having a IQ of 70 or below really cannot be faked. The psychologist could tell from talking to you that it wasn’t so. I don’t think you understand what it really means to have that low of intelligence. Most people have too much pride to do that but regardless it wouldn’t work. Some people that end up on disability have made good money and their payment is based on that so only getting a thousand a month wouldn’t be fair. There are agencies that help people with the paperwork. 30 years ago it was easy to get disability but now it’s ridiculously hard unless you have a terminal illness.

Regarding BIL, his IQ is definitely above 70, but he isn't bright enough to figure out how to fake it. Plus there is no way he would think about doing this, and there is no way I would ever say "You're probably going to qualify for benefits because you're cognitively disabled." To an earlier point, He has two issues: he has never learned the ways of the world thanks to his mother infantilizing him for 40+ years, plus he's lazy. Those are his only disabilities.

Yppej
    IL, you are generally right about the specificity of benefits, but there are individuals and stores that participate in EBT fraud. In my area the rate is $1.00 in EBT for 50 cents in cash. Welfare phones are also resold.

Thread Information