Page 298 of 421 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 4203

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    My computer is hardwired to the internet via a modem that has a password of my choosing protecting it's settings. That modem acts as a NAT router. There is a hardware firewall+router between the modem and my computer. My computer OS also has a built-in firewall, which is turned on. And installing or updating software or the OS requires entering the password of my Admin account, which is only used for that purpose, never for general internet access.
    As a longtime geek myself, I'll admit to spending quite a bit of time and effort from the early 90's onward to teach myself the basics of computers, networking and IS security. The following diagram represents a moment in time of my home network roughly 20 years ago. It's been severely downscaled since then while still being upgraded significantly, if you know what I mean.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Ahh, a Linux user, I approve! I think that makes you the third such user I'm aware of on this site....By the way, what's your favorite flavor?
    At the moment it's straight Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS with daily security updates, mostly for the simplicity of not having to tinker with the system very often and not having to wait for a flavor to release it's version of the most recent Ubuntu LTS (not as much of a problem as it used to be IMO). I'm not geeky enough to enjoy Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or OpenSUSE although I have looked at all of them over the years. At this point, I basically want to just install the OS, set everything up the way I like it, and not have to mess with it until I'm ready to install the next LTS version. At this point, playing with Python and doing actual productive work (finances, journal, annoying SLF members ) is a lot more interesting to me than tinkering with different OSs. KWIM?

I still don't agree with the stated aversions to smart phones though, even a semi geek can protect their smart phone just as well as their pc.
    I also have an aversion to commercial TV, because the constant commercial interruptions make me crazy. But I doubt anyone here would object to that or argue against it.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 9-24-21 at 9:34pm. Reason: typo

Wow. Compaq! Win XP! Those bring back memories! (not always good ones ). Your old home network looked like my QA department network with the number of nodes/hubs/routers. Impressive.

So I'm assuming you're using a personal computer running either Microsoft, Mac, Linux or Chrome operating system to surf the web for the copious number of links you share with us as well as for sending/receiving emails, interacting with whatever social media platforms that may strike your fancy and perhaps even shopping or interacting with your bank or other financial institution.
    Come on man, you forgot the BSD's, Free, Open, Dragon, etc.

I still miss the days of getting to play more with the computers. I was looking at playing with Linux from Scratch and Slackware, when all the employers medical stuff, happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Come on man, you forgot the BSD's, Free, Open, Dragon, etc.
    I played with FreeBSD back in the late 90's and thought it was pretty cool, however my impression is it's mostly used these days in servers and embedded devices rather than desktops. Sorry for the omission.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

But honestly there are probably 500 versions, branches, flavors, and offshoots of Linux.
    That's what made the BSD family a little more intriguing, they're more an offshoot of Unix.

And if you really want to have fun playing with a computer, learn how to write programs in assembly language.
    NO thank you. I was expected to be the computer guy in school, after a sibling was and did programing actually for the school (choose credits over cash, regretted that).

True. BSD was an offshoot of Unix whereas GNU/Linux was a work-alike OS that mimicked Unix. And both had more than their fair share of copyright infringement lawsuits thrown at them.
    After all the computers I have had access to (from punch cards, through Timex Sinclair 1000, Atari, Apple's, Amiga's, Commodores, Tandy, IBM, etc), when my Windows 3.1 machine died (lightning), I decided to build my next computer. I went NT 4.0 and Redhat 5.2, while my sibling went from Atari to Windows 95. Over the next few years, the sibling was working on getting me to switch to 98 so we could game. (why do you want to learn networking, etc)
    I attended a Linux training class, from a VERY infamous company, that handed out their last model distro, while selling the 2.4 version of Caldera. I remember that whole being threatened by the company that made me a customer thing.

Still check on Hurd on occasion. But very happy that things like the Raspberry PI's have come along.

Well it has been a month since someone placed a rant here, so I will update this thread:

Today I am complaining because I cannot have All the Dogs.

Our bulldog is flaky with other dogs. Our city house isn’t conducive to managing multiple dogs who do not get along except in an emergency situation.

I miss having foster dogs. I miss having other dogs in and out of our house. Our Hermann property is not dog friendly yet because there’s no fence for him, and it’s still dirty and under construction and the only clean place he could live would be down in the basement. So I cannot send him to Herman to be with his dad several days each week. My condo has no furniture and no kitchen so it is not habitable. I can’t move into this condo temporarily to take a dog.

There is a perfect little darling dog in rescue right now who needs surgery and will need a place to recover. I would love to take care of this little girl but… I cannot do it right now.

Yesterday our head of rescue brought over one of her dogs to visit me because I was jonesing for another bulldog experience. I needed to get my hands on a fat bodied/wrinkled face bulldog. This guy, J.J., came to visit:

070E694E-F0C0-4F29-B0B2-30D94D1D4EC4.jpg
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-28-21 at 8:17pm.

Awww... so sorry, IL. I predict - the minute any/all of the abodes are livable - you will once again be over-run with dogs!!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Awww... so sorry, IL. I predict - the minute any/all of the abodes are livable - you will once again be over-run with dogs!!!!
    Yes! I am looking forward to living in Hermann where our house has three rooms on the first floor with doors that close, so we could easily have a foster dog and shut dogs away from each other. Plus, I could do a condo live-in stint with a dog. Secretly, I would like to dognap J.J. and hole up with him for a week in my tiny condo. He is one of those special dogs—-funny, laid-back, confident.

Thread Information