Page 34 of 423 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

It's obvious to me he wants to stay. Resign yourself and chip him.

Pump bottles for lotion. Apparently I do not know how to even spring out the nozzle to get a new one started, as evidenced by the mess I made trying to start a brand new bottle of body lotion I got from work. Aren't you supposed to spin the nozzle thingy until it pops up? Well, or so I thought, I spun and spun and nothing popped up; it just popped out altogether and now I have a nozzle-less giant bottle of body lotion.

And that is just the beginning. I hate it when you have pump bottles when you think it's the end and nothing squirts out only to find out that there is at least a month's worth of product left in there and every time you go to use it it involves a lot of fussing with the spent nozzle-wand, tapping, banging or whatever one needs to do to get the full money's worth. At the very end I resort to cutting the dang thing open with a box cutter and scooping out the remainder. Oh, the things we do for frugality.

Helped host a free Happy Hour event for an association at a nice downtown hotel. Weeks of publicity via email and meeting announcements. Planned for 30, get 40 RSVPs - great, the more the merrier. Actual attendees: 22.

I understand a few no-shows: flat tire, babysitter cancelled, whatever. The rest of you - bah!

My ex-wife used to sell Tupperware. Her standing rule (which proved surprisingly [disappointingly?] accurate) was to count on 1/3 of the people who said they would come. By that standard, you did well. But it's still a disappointment -- and irksome when you have to plan around it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I really wish people would believe me when I tell them I don't know how to do something. Getting peeved at me when I don't do something because I really do NOT know how to do it - not helpful.

(Not work releated!)

Not good car news!

Numbnuts at body shop! Chick told me late this morning she would give me a call late this afternoon about when I could pick it up as they close at 5:30. Nada, so I just called. Not ready until TOMORROW. I gave the manager a piece of my mind and told him it must be done by tomorrow lunchtime. Not maybe. Must. Period. Idiot. And then I'd like to give the a--hole who smashed my car a real piece of my mind. I am not happy. ARGH!

I have to drive 90 minutes up to my friend's I'm staying with tomorrow night before exam. I want my car!

I talked to the body shop chick late this morning and she told me she would call me late this afternoon about when I could pick it up as they close at 5:30. No call. So at 4:45 I called. Not ready. There is no excuse for her not calling me.

Why is it that every time I park in one of the Five Minute Book Drop parking spaces there is at least one other car there and no one else at the book drop? I expect courtesy and literacy from library patrons, but apparently...

You and me both, Tradd, about people not believing when others don't believe you really don't know how to do things you really don't know how to do. And I never understand why they do that.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Let me state my peeve! then I will go off to remedy it.

For months now the Red Cross has been calling our home, trying to reach DH to sign up for giving blood. He is a regular donor and has been for ten years. He has the blood type that is a universal donor and he has big fat veins where the blood just pours out in 15 minutes. In other words, he's a prime blood giving candidate.

I used to make his Red Cross blood donation apppointments for him, but that didn't always work out since I don't know his schedule, so I stopped making his appointments. I left messages for him to call the Red Cross, but he doesn't call them back. He will cheerfully sign up for a blood appointment when they call him but he won't call them back.

I have asked the Red Cross: PLEASE call our home landline after 6:30 at night to reach him. Please. I won't give them his cell phone number. That's his business number and he may be on top of a ladder or talking to a customer when they call and he doesn't have a calendar handy then, anyway.

They apparently cannot call after 6:30 because they all go home. doh. Seriously, people--you want others to donate their time and blood and you cannot call during non-business hours because you cannot bestir yourselves to work evening hours? Ok!

Now I am off to find a solution for this. I want him to give blood, he wants to give blood, we will make somehting work, but I am not impressed with the Red Cross in this particular matter. Otherwise, I will say that they are always very nice when they call and are consious of the hassles that blood donors go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    I want him to give blood, he wants to give blood, we will make somehting work, but I am not impressed with the Red Cross in this particular matter. Otherwise, I will say that they are always very nice when they call and are consious of the hassles that blood donors go through.
    My experience as well. The people calling for appointments are unfailingly nice -- but they can't see to do much of anything besides book an appointment or make a note to call some weeks later. When I was donating at work, the local office (which was coordinating the blood drive at work!) would call me a week or so after a work donation asking if I could donate again. No, according to Red Cross rules, I cannot. They never seemed to get their act together, so I told the local bank to not call me; I would just donate at work.

Scheduling definitely is one area in which the Red Cross could do better. Iris Lily, you have encouraged me to call my local Red Cross and make some suggestions. Thank you.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information