Page 351 of 421 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,510 of 4204

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Funny story: DH gave one of our chronically down-on-his-luck friends a ride to the food pantry once, and he went inside with him. The woman running the pantry urged DH to grab a bag and take whatever he needed. DH declined and said he was just giving a ride to a friend. Apparently you risk this kind of interaction when you wear your casual clothes to rags! Let that be a cautionary tale to all of us fashionistas on the SLF!
    The food pantry in our town posts the following requirements on their website:
    To receive donations: We ask that first-time clients please bring a photo ID, proof of address, and documents showing any State or Federal aid you are receiving.

Rosa, that’s funny about your husband). IL, you are right about the ACA doing away with catastrophic insurance so it left you no options. Food banks are struggling in some places.

Re: food pantries - a church in my aunt's neighborhood has no storage for fresh foods, and they rely on donations from local stores and producers. They are open two or three days a week, in a poor area of town. But when they get a big truck of yogurt, milk, meat, cheese, and/or produce, they put people on the road to flag down cars and pass it out to anyone who will take it. By the end of day, if it's still there, it all has to go into the trash. It's unorganized and wasteful, but since our food pantries here are pretty much all volunteer, catch-as-catch-can organizations that are doing the best they can, I don't see how people who are "undeserving" could be weeded out. My aunt often gets several large boxes, and calls family to come and take what they can use. My cousin, who lives with her, used to go the a VA pantry, where he could "shop" and only take what they could use. That program was "privatized" and now he too gets huge boxes of way too much of some foods, and none of others, with no consideration of dietary needs or preferences. You don't know what's in the boxes - it's a drive up pantry and they just load the back of the car or the trunk. For the two of them, several weeks ago, he got 15 loaves of various kinds of bread, a case of almost outdated yogurt, 2 gallons of milk, a ham, and no veggies. Oh- and a 20# bag of cat food. They don't have a cat. Maybe in big cities it's more efficient, but in this area, it doesn't seem efficient at all! And there are many who are hungry, and are unable to access the pantries. There must be a better way to distribute food to those in need of it!

It’s one thing for food pantries to give away stuff they don’t have room for/can’t store.

My town’s food pantry is administered by the township office. They also provide emergency assistance with rent/utility bills, job training, school supplies, and holiday food baskets, among other things. It’s all together, which is why you have to prove you have a need. You can only visit the food pantry once a month. Not sure how much food they provide.

My whole post was the mindset of publicly urging people who have no need to get food from a food pantry. I have no problem with someone volunteering and being giving extras at the end of the shift.

My challenge today is EXTREME BOREDOM whilst gallery sitting. The past few few weeks has seen a big slowdown (usually happens this time of year here). Today is the pits. I'm still sitting on the awful wooden chair (with a pillow, but I haven't gotten around to buying anything yet). I can only knit so much before my hands and wrists start complaining. I brought my computer so I have done some of my own stuff I need to get down but still...

One. More. Hour. until I can close up and be off for two days.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    My challenge today is EXTREME BOREDOM whilst gallery sitting. The past few few weeks has seen a big slowdown (usually happens this time of year here). Today is the pits. I'm still sitting on the awful wooden chair (with a pillow, but I haven't gotten around to buying anything yet). I can only knit so much before my hands and wrists start complaining. I brought my computer so I have done some of my own stuff I need to get down but still...

One. More. Hour. until I can close up and be off for two days.
    ugh. That is the worst kind of job! Well, for white collar work anyway.

OMG, that would be fab time for reading. Lots of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I teach online and could do both jobs at once--bonanza!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I had a job for a long time that required me to answer trouble/outage reports on the evening shift. The library was a couple of blocks away and i would come in with an armful of books to amuse myself with while I waited for the inevitable mayhem.

I worked the night shift at a hospital once where I brought my college coursework. I got my work done… then my studying done. It was wonderful.
    Last edited by frugal-one; 11-10-22 at 5:29pm.

Thread Information