Page 4 of 422 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Mrs-M
    SiouzQ. Sending get well wishes your way! P.S. At some point in time today, fill a pot (average sized cooking pot/sauce pan) 3/4 full of water, bring to a boil, then place on a wooden cutting board or hot pad, sit yourself (your face) directly over the steam, and cover your head/pot with a towel to help seal in the steam/moisture. 10 minutes will do.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Why, oh why, do I ALWAYS get a cold/sinus issues before a gig!$%^##@!! Drat! Tomorrow night is THE BIG ONE Birthday Bash and my entire family is actually going to be in town and come to my party (my dad, brother and sister have never seen me perform). I woke up this morning with a horrible sinus headache, scratchy throat, drippy nose (same cold I had three weeks ago). I eat a very healthy diet, take a daily multi-vitamin plus exta C, use the neti pot every morning wash my hands a lot, and still.....
    I think you might have pollen allergies, which is my peeve du jour. I woke up feeling groggy and dizzy because one side of my head always gets stuffy at night to the point that I have ringing in that ear for hours the next morning. All day long I've been as irritable as can be and as soon as I open the windows I get itchy all over, scalp to ankles. I routinely take Allegra and Mucinex which help, but the ragweed seems especially bad this year.

Believe it or not, spicy hot foods also help because they get your sinuses running even worse and clear out the congestion. My doctor also suggested a saline nasal spray (cheap and available at any drugstore with no prescription) to clean the pollen out of my nasal passages. I squirt it up each nostril once or twice, wait a minute or so, and then blow for all I'm worth. This helps a lot with the irritation that causes sneezing.

Please be careful. I've sometimes had this so bad that I've gotten sinus infections or bronchitis that put me in bed for several days and required an antibiotic to boot. One early summer pollen season I caught walking pneumonia from a coworker who wouldn't stay home and take care of himself.

I survived the gig fine, though there were a few moments when I went for a high note and my voice was right on the edge of cracking! Much fun was had by all and I am now glad to get back to regular life. I've had enough of being in the limelight for awhile!
    PS: Mrs. M, I have definitely used the breathing over a pot of steam trick in the past, though I forgot about it this time ~ thanks for the reminder!

Mrs-M
    SiouzQ. So glad to hear you were feeling well enough to enjoy the event and get through it.

E-mail etiquette: People who send an e-mail to a group using the last e-mail that was sent to everyone - sometimes many weeks ago - but still using the same subject description even though the subject is entirely changed. Example: I got an e-mail from a friend titled "meeting tonight" I'm thinking, Huh, what meeting? turns out she'd just forwarded an old e-mail and never bothered to change the wording in the subject, and then in the body of the e-mail proceeds to discuss something entirely different.
    Geez, is it so hard to either re-type a new description in the subject line, or even actually click on 'compose' and type a new message?
    Also, if you just sent me an e-mail, don't turn around and dial my number or run over to my desk at work and say, "did you get my e-mail?" If you hit 'send' three minutes ago, give me some time to read it and I'll then I'll answer you - no need to double-check every time.

Nearly two years into a fundraising position, and NOTHING I have tried to do is taking hold. Today, talking about getting sponsorships for our annual event, our young office manager pipes up with "54 percent of all sponsorships are a result of cold calls (not true, except at About.com). We can email, send a letter, and call, so the person has three chances to say yes and not feel like a total ass." Oh, now there's a winning strategy!

I come from many years experience as a development person; I practice the proven and effective discipline of donor-centered fundraising. Build relationships based upon the mission & good work of the organization, and support is a logical next step when asked. Giving someone an "opportunity" not to feel like an ass after being harassed to give to an organization they've never heard of is so freaking stupid! I am ashamed to have my name on the staff list as the Devo Director.

The ED doesn't seem to give a flying fck... Actually, he's conflict avoidant, and a weenie when it comes to fundraising. As G-d is my witness, I am NEVER AGAIN going to be a development director!!! I cannot wait till I raise enough $$ in my half time ED position to leave this stupid Devo job behind.

Some day, when I get the gumption and energy, I will tell you all about my craaaazy, dysfunctional workplace. Suffice it to say I work for an incredibly egotistical, self-centered, prideful, business-owning octogenarian who is showing signs of dementia and has no intention of ever retiring. Today the office manager quit, no warning...well, at least I have the next two days off. I'm afraid of what I'll find on Saturday when I go back in. The workers are restless and angry at him, for a huge variety of reasons.

Oh boy--yellow pages phone books! Just what I wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh boy--yellow pages phone books! Just what I wanted!
    Oh, no, it isn't that time of year again, is it? I hope this year's delivery person dumps them at the mailboxes at the end of the street like last year. Most of the pile laid there for a month or so until, mercifully, someone put them out for the trash.

Oh, well. At least today is cold and wet so no one is out mowing the yard or remodeling anything.

Why does Windows 7 need to update EVERYTIME I turn on my computer????? Couldn't they get it right the first, or the second, or the third time????

I am thinking maybe there is an Apple in my future.

Thread Information