Page 96 of 421 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Peeve / Rant

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    They're getting worse. I just checked out a laptop to a student and filled out the form. There's a section that says: Cord? Yes___ No___. He did not opt for the cord.

He points to the form and says, "Shouldn't that say 'yes' for the cord?"

I just looked at him and said, "But I haven't given you a cord."

"Oh."facepalmheaddesk
    Maybe a dumb question, but why wouldn't the cord automatically be supplied? Seems easier.

Peeve du jour: a collection of observations about my recent slightly overdue spate of cresting-the-hill screening exams.

1. If one is not obviously, clinically obese or underweight, why is it necessary for every office to pull out a scale? Why does the dermatologist need that information?

2. If you want me to believe you're a cutting edge facility, why are you handing me a stack of badly photocopied paper forms, half of which ask for the exact same info? How many times do you need me to tell you who my contact person is? Three? Really? What do you do with all this paper?

Today is the second time in a week I've been told on a form that I would be given specific counseling or recommendations due to family history, with no follow up. Really, why highlight the fact that you're being neglectful by mentioning this in the first place?

3. Along the same lines as #1, why is in necessary to strip naked to have a colonoscopy consultation? I don't mean a rectal exam, I mean talking about the nasty goop I'll have to drink and what I can't eat the day before. I need to be naked and freezing to optimally absorb this information?

4. Do you really think decorating the walls with reminders not to do this and that, no cell phones, please don't discuss your medical issues with other patients, there will be a $3 fee for using Visa, there will be a $50 charge for missed appointments, lends a professional air to an office? I sure don't.

5. When I call the insurance company to find out if a procedure will be covered by my policy, I don't want a friendly guess about it. I also don't want to be told to read the policy guidelines, only to find myself wading through clinical trial information. Is it covered or not?

I don't know why my medical experience always seems so poor, it's probably my own personality, but I will be glad when things are found and fixed, or not found at all.
    Last edited by kib; 9-14-15 at 7:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post

1. If one is not obviously, clinically obese or underweight, why is it necessary for every office to pull out a scale? Why does the dermatologist need that information?

Today is the second time in a week I've been told on a form that I would be given specific counseling or recommendations due to family history, with no follow up. Really, why highlight the fact that you're being neglectful by mentioning this in the first place?

I don't know why my medical experience always seems so poor, it's probably my own personality, but I will be glad when things are found and fixed, or not found at all.
    since doctor visits have replaced my career, I'm getting annoyed by similar things. Like when I am walking like a drunken sailor, bumping into walls, why do I have to wobbily balance on the scale when I was just there YESTERDAY! And the reading is meaningless because I cannot balance on it at all. How much can your wt have changed in 24 hrs unless you have congestive heart failure, which I don't? One time, the nurse was getting frustrated because I would not let go of the wall during my all important daily wt check. I tell the nurse, "I really think I am going to fall if I let go, could you just write down FAT and maybe only do this once a month or so?" Of course not, she says, "I'll catch you, you'll be fine." Let go of wall, wobble for a few seconds and then fall and she did not catch me, grrr. My doc comes out, SHE gets me off the floor and says to the nurse, "she was just here yesterday, I don't need her weight and she doesn't need a head injury." My primary is very blunt and I love that.

I cannot believe they asked for that health info and documented that they were not planning to follow up? WTH? Wouldn't that be kind of evidenciary should you sue them for not taking care of your health problems?

I finally saw neuro again today. She read the results of my IQ and memory tests and said, "not good, happening too quickly, I don't know for sure what is causing this, but now it is time to really amp up the testing." I don't want to hear that but I at least know I am in good hands.

This is how I feel, too: I will be glad when things are found and fixed, or not found at all.

It's been a year, figure it out, good news or bad, I just want definitive answers and a plan, even if the plan is, "we can't fix this." At least, I will finally know.

I do not believe that it is your personality causing poor exams, even though they may not remember this often, our medical professionals work for us, not the other way around.

I meant that I can be very picky so I walk away feeling like things aren't up to par, not that I'm so unpleasant that I get bad treatment - ok maybe I am, but I'm hoping not .

I feel for you. Right or wrong, when I ask why and I'm told "that's just how we do it", what I hear is "Who Knows. Because We Can." Hope you get some answers soon, hopefully the fixing kind.

and you, too.

I don't know why my medical experience always seems so poor, it's probably my own personality
    No, kib, it's not you. It's that state-of-the-art best-in-class American medical system. There is no room for improvement.

When my second-to-last GP quit to teach, I took the opportunity to ditch that clinic because I hated their front office. Calling for information resulted in a query about "which team" your provider was on. Not like anything in the office was color-coded red, yellow, or blue. I refused to guess. The receptionists sit behind high partitions that really limit what they can see in the check-in line, so you frequently stood there for minutes on end before they noticed you. Every last clerk behaved like they'd rather be in Hades that day getting their fingernails peeled back with sharp bamboo sticks than checking you in. And the intake staff barely does its job, with measurements like the bouncing scale and the blood-pressure machine they never audited manually in my presence. The actual doctors and nurse-practitioners were fine (if a little insistent on the almighty "we-do-that-for-every-illness-like-yours" protocol). But you had to get past the front desk first and, in the end, it just wasn't worth it. At my new place, they actually remember my name and there's none of that "oh, another expense just walked in" feeling I got before. Too bad the GP I had there quit to move to another clinic (in which I cannot participate). *sigh*
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    No, kib, it's not you. It's that state-of-the-art best-in-class American medical system. There is no room for improvement.

When my second-to-last GP quit to teach, I took the opportunity to ditch that clinic because I hated their front office. At my new place, they actually remember my name and there's none of that "oh, another expense just walked in" feeling I got before. Too bad the GP I had there quit to move to another clinic (in which I cannot participate). *sigh*
    Did the docs have any say in who was hired or fired from the front desk? To me, they are important, the first impression when you call or come in. And if it's a bad experience every time, you would think some patients will just switch docs. And for them not to remember your name? Ok, how can you possibly triage phone calls if you don't have the working knowledge of the freaking names of the people you work for? That sounds like hell, pure hell.

How is it now with the GP gone?

I am very lucky, I think I have a good team now and they are actually sometimes communicating with each other. And all have good nurses (the one with the wt thing, I have found her to be a nurse who isn't quite taking in the whole picture, so she just has a checklist of what needs to be done to everybody, she's very nice just not intuitive at all). And even good desk staff.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    Did the docs have any say in who was hired or fired from the front desk? To me, they are important, the first impression when you call or come in. [...]
    How is it now with the GP gone?
    This clinic is one of maybe two or three dozen across the metro, all belonging to the same medical group, which also owns hospitals, medical-equipment firms, a few opticians, etc. What I understand from people who are in the know is that things are very centralized and the process-improvement bug has bitten this place hard. A doctor friend of mine at another clinic in the same group complains of constantly being dinged for spending "too much" time with patients -- a concern echoed by the GP at my new clinic. I have heard that hiring and firing is done at the pleasure of corporate. The atmosphere really reminds me of a franchised fast-food joint: the product and policies are delivered from corporate and merely distributed by the practitioners.

I've only had to be back to my "new" clinic once since my GP left. This clinic is part of a much smaller "chain" and they use that lack of size as a selling point. It works, though the doctor I had to see on my post-knee-surgery visit just borders on being a jerk.

It may sound like I'm coming down really hard on medical staff, especially the front-office people. But I actually was a front-office person, years ago. I was a receptionist at a doctor's office and an orderly at a local hospital. I know it's possible to do the job without being an automaton. I get that the world of work is different than it was those many years ago. But it doesn't cost a dime extra for someone dealing with sick/fearful/irritated people to be nice rather than robotic. And I'm a firm believer that empathy and sympathy and care definitely can be as much a part of the treatment mix as the latest statin or pacemaker.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

It may sound like I'm coming down really hard on medical staff, especially the front-office people. But I actually was a front-office person, years ago. I was a receptionist at a doctor's office and an orderly at a local hospital. I know it's possible to do the job without being an automaton. I get that the world of work is different than it was those many years ago. But it doesn't cost a dime extra for someone dealing with sick/fearful/irritated people to be nice rather than robotic. And I'm a firm believer that empathy and sympathy and care definitely can be as much a part of the treatment mix as the latest statin or pacemaker.
    ITA, I was a waitress in a nursing home and an aide in the hospital and other jobs not considered exactly glamorous. Sure it was hard work, but it didn't take much longer to be pleasant and chat if someone needed to or do an extra task.

I will never forget my interview for hospice, as I approached the desk, the receptionist goes "who the heck are you and what the Fword do you want?" I was speechless and thought, I will never ever work somewhere where the receptionist has no clue who a person is and uses the Fword to find out. Families come there. It doesn't matter who it is, you cannot act like that no matter how cute and funny you think you are in of all places, Hospice.

But I liked the sound of the job, went back a second time for a team interview and was won over. I eventually became close with that receptionist, they did take her off the desk and promoted her big time and she eventually got to be good with families. She would have these loud, ranting breakdowns over "stupid people making her life Fing harder!" She would get spoken to but it sounds crazy, she turned about to be great at her new job, she could fix any laptop problem, when you asked her for something, she did it, unlikely many who did not. She's really sarcastic and funny when you get to know her and underneath a rough exterior, she is very kind, she turned out to be a good friend to have.

when my dad started volunteering, he called me to ask if I knew a crazy girl there named Kim. Yup, bracing for him to go into a tirade that she called him a foul name. Instead, he says, "I love her, she is so funny. She said she loves you." No way in hell would she say "love" and I called her on it and she said, "I love you, you love me, we're the only sane people here, now get the F out of my office!"

it's a strange world! everyday she sends me a picture of her dog, no words, just a daily picture of Jackie. So I send one back, of my dog pooping in the yard. And has done ever since I left, she never misses a day.

rambling, sorry

5. When I call the insurance company to find out if a procedure will be covered by my policy, I don't want a friendly guess about it. I also don't want to be told to read the policy guidelines, only to find myself wading through clinical trial information. Is it covered or not?
    Part of that issue, is there are normally different ways to bill something and one way can be covered, while one isn't. Also one can make the doctors more money (which is why they pick it), verses another. etc. Profit motive is one issue, just someone having a bad day, or you knowing the doctor, etc. could be another.

I always like how doctors wanted me to sign the form that I have seen the HIPA book, when they don't even know where it is. (I make the change to have not)

Thread Information