Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New year, new forum platform, new goals - what're yours?

Wow! This is a thought provoking thread!
    I am still trying to form a new life for myself after dh was killed in a plane crash in 2007. Sometimes I am right on track and sometimes I seem to be wandering around in circles. So, I have made some improvements but not enough. Recently I built a new home and moved into town. After 33 years I felt I wanted more people around me to interact with. It's been a good move as already my sleeping has greatly improved. I also quit one of my jobs of 33 years. My dh and I had started a small carry out and food business in the 1970's. After his death, I sold it to my son but continued to work for him. After a stream of back problems, I decided to take the plunge and stop working there. It's scary but also exciting. I still own a couple of storage units so have some work but not too many hours involved in this. So, I now have the time to do all the things I ever wanted to do. But, first, I have to figure out what those things are:-) I just haven't had the time for years to even think about it! Last year I did write a book about the experiences of losing father, mother, and husband all at once and a section on how to recover from those losses. I have another book almost finished and this one I am going to publish in hard back. The rest of 2011 is going to be about figuring out what the next twenty years might bring and what I want to do with them!

Superb timing with the forum switch!

My 2011 goals, draft so far:
    • rejoin the ranks of the employed
    • publish two free iOS apps
    • add $25k into the retirement accounts
    • earn two recognitions through Toastmasters
    • see all my daughters' concerts and performances
    • take a solid-two-week break away from home with my family
    ----
    Joseph
    Truthfulness, compassion, tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
    Who has good strategies for remembering the goals and keeping them in mind throughout the year? I'm jotting them on my monthly calendar. In the past, I've made goals and then promptly forgot about them. I want to keep these goals this year - I like them.
    Bootsie, I really like the site 43Things. You can have entries for your different goals, reflect upon them with others who have the same goals, mark them done, etc. You can also set reminders to your e-mail if you think you maybe won't remember to go back to the site. And you can "cheer" other people's goals and entries! It's fun.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I have an ongoing list of goals at 43Things, but for this year, a focus on:

• Making fitness a priority
    • Becoming more at ease with baking
    • Implementing Getting Things Done in my life

They are broad, but plenty of room for creativity in how to realize them. I started "early" about a week ago on making fitness a priority. Since then, I worked out every day except one consciously taken rest day. Already feeling a difference.

With GTD I need to make sure I have Sunday time to do the weekly check-in. I think that's where I'm coming up short with the system.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Exercise a little more. (Since I do no exercising, anything will be an improvement.)
    Try to socialize a little more. My new husband and I are both homebodies, but I would like to try to develop some community here and make some friends.
    Be a little more focused in my computer/Internet use. I've been spending hours a day playing solitaire and dumb Facebook games. It's a waste of my year off.
    Floss.

-WILL retire the end of February 2011.
    -plan on making more food from scratch.
    -learn more about natural/holistic medicine.
    -join the state park system and learn more about foraging.
    -make a gallant effort to lose 20 pounds.
    -find low cost or free entertainment.

I came across a spiritual book that I like a lot, called "Spiritual Revolution". It is a workbook of sorts: "52 powerful principles for your mind and soul". So I got me a journal and want to use the new year to tackle one principle every week.

You all have some impressive goals! I have so many things I want to accomplish - but I know me *sigh*.
    - exercise more. I don't exercise now, so, like AustinKat, anything will be helpful!
    - set us a system of paper-handling and USE IT!
    - sew more. I bought myself a new machine with some of my gift money, and I want to make more things. (like slippers. I need new slippers!)
    - find a way to get at least two large home repair items done, from my long list of possibilities.

Continue downsizing
    Clean/reorganize/maintain what's left.
    Be more attentive to the garden this year.
    Strive to enjoy all that I'm doing.
    moo

HKPassey: I want to see pictures of crab spiders! I like spiders!

Thread Information