Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Flu shots -- are you going to get one?

My husband got shingles very close to his eye. He was lucky it didn’t get in his eye. He has scars where it was. I didn’t know it could cause paralysis. I get the flu about once every 10 years.

I will get the flu shot, as usual. I had the flu several years ago and it was pretty debilitating. I've had the flu shot every year since. I think a lot of people have a bad cold that they may think is the flu, but the flu symptoms I had left no doubt. I can see at my age where the flu could possibly be a life threatening event and I'll take my chances with the shot. I had the shingles shot in my early 50's and plan to get the new vaccine that is supposed to be more effective.

Got our senior flu shot yesterday at our local Kroger pharmacy. Sure made it easy. Mom got pneumonia this year and was hospitalized (even after the super shot) and we have to be extra careful. Also we are both considered high risk.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Mom got pneumonia this year and was hospitalized (even after the super shot) and we have to be extra careful.
    The medical fragility of people we visit often are the reason we get flu shots. I tend to get something (flu or not) whenever I get the shot, and I know that, in some years, the anticipated flus against which they immunize are really hit-or-miss, so I've tended to pass on the shot. But we get it in an attempt to protect others.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Could you tell me why you feel that way?
    Hi Tiam. I mis-spoke. I was thinking of the Lyme vaccine.....which has, many times, caused really bad arthritis.
    As far as the shingles vaccine.......my body is so weird. I have weird reactions to things that don't seem to bother others, so I'm hesitant.
    But mostly.......I was confusing the shingle's vaccine with the Lyme vaccine. Sorry!

A friend of mine got pneumonia and later got the shot than proceeded to get pneumonia twice more.

I get the flu shot every year. SO has an illness that has caused him a permanently compromised immune system both because of the illness and having had a splenectomy as an attempt to resolve the illness. Any time he gets a fever we have to go to the ER to be checked for infections so anything i can do to help avoid that i will.

I have also gotten the new shingles vacinations. (Yes, it’s two shots, four to six months apart). I suffered the apparently common side effect of moderate fever for 24 hours after both shots. I got the second one on a friday afternoon for that reason. But if it prevents me from getting shingles i’ll consider it a worthwhile tradeoff.

Flu shots are basically immunological whack-a-mole. Perhaps if I were regularly around crowds, or if I were inordinately susceptible to the flu, I would consider getting one. And then I'd probably come down with Guillen-Barre syndrome. Vaccinations aren't without risk, regardless of how Pharma spins it.

I wonder what's different about the "senior flu shot".?

I am required to get one (and a bunch of other vaccinations) every year in order to be able to work.

I would encourage y'all to do the same.

Thread Information