Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu shots -- are you going to get one?

I used to be anti-flu shot but then about 3 years ago I got the flu and it was an absolute nightmare. I was sick for over a week and lost 15 lbs. I understand how people die from it. I was a perfectly healthy 20 something and I WANTED to die. Ugh. So, after that I decided to get it each year since it is offered at no cost to me.

DH still refuses even though he had the flu about 5 years ago. He has a lot of Kestra's concerns. I do to, but it is not worth it again for me personally to go through the flu when the risks of the shot seem to be minor.

My DH and I both had a flu shot one year and got the flu BIG TIME. We haven't taken the shot again. Last fall I had pneumonia and am considering trying the shot again. My HMO keeps calling saying we should get one. I am adverse to taking any meds so this is still on the back burner. It really is hard to know what to do!

Yup, I get one every year. Two reasons; my elder parents are vulnerable, and I got the flu one year, early on, and then caught every other virus that sauntered by. I was sick for months. Never again! It's cheap insurance.

I've never in my life had the flu. I'm 55 y.o. and just never get sick. Based upon that a doctor friend told me not to worry about getting a shot because I probably had a good enough immune system for it.

The problem as I see it is that each year the powers that be come up with some sort of concoction to immunize against the type of flu that they think might be around this year. There's no guarantee that what goes around is the type of flu that you got the shot for.

My DH is 70 y.o. and he gets a flu shot. And I figure that if everyone else gets their shot then I don't have to. ;>)

Nope, both DH and I don't get the shots.
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

No, I don't plan to get the shot (or the flu). I rarely get sick. I don't plan for the husband or kids to get the shot either.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

No. I'll take my chances with my natural immune system. It hasn't failed me yet.

last year I got a shot, not normal for me (there was a reason I won't go into, work related,), and had a small touch of the flu. Normally I don't get it.

I'll be skipping it as usual this year.

Even though I have a lot of physical contact with my clients, I don't get a flu shot. I'm rarely sick and hopefully if my clients are sick, they'll stay home. My parents are elderly and have to get flu and pneumonia shots; if I do get a cold, I do my best to stay away from them, especially my mom, who has COPD.

In the 70s both my mom and I had the swine flu--I remember being soooo sick. About 6-7 years ago I had the flu. It was mostly respiratory with no vomiting, (unlike the swine flu) thank goodness. With only two episodes in 45 years, I'm hoping that not getting a flu shot and building an immunity by having it a few times makes me less susceptible.

I normally avoid a flu shot, except when there's been especially bad symptoms of that year's flu. Like Kestra, I'm concerned about a not-well-tested medicine being injected into my body. Last year in particular (or was it the year before?), there was a shortage and then a big rush, I'm sure corners were cut. I had immune system issues in my 20's (chronic fatigue) and am not crazy about unknown immune stimulants and what they could do to me.

I'm not immuno-suppressed or have any underlying illnesses though. And I currently have a low stress lifestyle, and can take a nap if I feel I'm coming down with something. When I've been under high stress/long hours/around a lot of sick people, I have opted for a flu shot. I can be guaranteed that I feel like I'm coming down with something for several days after a flu shot, so its really a toss of the dice: guaranteed mild symptoms or risk possible worse symptoms.

Thread Information