Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Advice from Other Phone-Haters

867-5309, One man tries to call that number for every area code in the U.S. with various results: http://www.danstheman.com/Jenny.htm

Count me as another phone hater.I hate phones like cats hate vacuum cleaners. Most saavy businesses with a website will court your business either way. I have been asked for a number and I have given my home number and what hours to call. I will then get questioned about a cell number. I carry one for MY convenience in an emergency. I don't have conversations on it. The phone is a necessary evil at work. When I leave it is the last form of communication I want to use. Give me e-mail or a face to face.
    I have a whole other rant on people being addicted to their cell phones and expecting others to be available 24/7..............

I dislike using the phone also. Sometimes when I'm out and look around at people glued to their cell phones, I think, why do people torture themselves like that.

I have to say that back in my work days, when there were issues that could be confrontatioanal there was a tendancy for folks to fire off emails than actually face someone and discuss things. I can recall getting these scorching emails from people who never have the fortitude to say similar things in person. Often the first thing I would do after getting one of these is pick up the phone and call the person. There are times when email just isn't the right way.

Another Angies list fan. I may only use it once or twice a year, but it has saved me hundreds of dollars.

I find it very funny that my landline has been dead for several weeks. It apparently knows it isn't welcome and rolled over and died. I only found out because I tried to send a fax a few days ago and kept getting a "no dial tone" error message. I have a repair appointment this coming Thursday, but I may postpone it.

I am in the group insurance/investment business and deal a lot with plan administrators and insurance carriers. Lately, I sent an email asking my key contacts what was their contact preference. To a tee, they said email. Phone calls are not convenient when further research is required and many people don't like to be interrupted when they are working on something. When I first started this job, I would phone someone for something, get their voicemail, leave a message and then get an email reply to my question, sometimes 10 minutes later. I got the hint. On a personal note, I don't have long phone conversations on the phone because you always end up talking at the same time, or pausing at the same time. Usually I just use the phone as a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbirdpat View Post
    Usually I just use the phone as a tool.
    I think that's how it should be used. My calls are mostly limited to making medical appointments or emergency calls, such as reporting an intoxicated driver. If I had living relatives I wouldn't mind an occasional call to keep in touch, but it seems so many people just mindlessly pick up the phone and call anybody and everybody about trivial stuff without thinking that they might be inconveniencing someone or just plain scaring them if they happen to be waiting to hear about a sick relative or friend. Twice when I was waiting for one of those life-or-death calls from the veterinarian, some a$$ of a telemarketer called first. It's amazing what you can say to another person under the influence of adrenalin.

I find it very funny that my landline has been dead for several weeks. It apparently knows it isn't welcome and rolled over and died.
    Yea, they know we hate them. I have all kinds of trouble with landlines, bad connections, staticy, dying quickly (even brand new ones) etc.. Cells tend to die too, but that's because I keep buying cheap prepaid ones (you would think I would learn eventually). They KNOW we hate them
    Trees don't grow on money

I hate phones. I do border on phobic about it and won't answer if I don't recognize the number. Email, IM'ing for real-time communication, ichat, you name it. Anything but phone please!!! Folks have learned this at work too. Email or come see me - that is the way to go.
    SPICE: Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, Equality.

Thread Information