Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What have you made from scratch lately?

Today I made enough beef casserole with wine for 3 meals - I also made a couple of Scottish steak pies and some Cornish pasties.

Tonight we had a chicken curry (made from scratch) with basmati rice.

Snowstorm today! DH is making two loaves of bread, I'm baking an applesauce cake. Will also make meatloaf and have defrosted some grated, frozen zucchini to stretch it.

I made my first batch of kimchi today. I'll be making a stir-fry for dinner tonight.

I think this summer I will be brave and try making pasta. Then perhaps very brave and try pickling......???

Tiam - Basic salty cucumber pickles are really easy. I have a large IKEA glass jar I use. Stuff in 1/2 bunch dill + 3-4 garlic cloves (or more) in the bottom. Chili flakes optional. Fill with cut cucumbers (I use Japanese). Pour over water mixed with 1 T. salt and 1 t. sugar. Leave on the counter. They're salty at first, then get sour. When they're the saltiness/sourness you like, put in fridge. Also, the water needs to be hot to dissolve the salt & sugar, but cool it before you pour over the cukes or they will get rubbery. My friend also puts the cukes on a bed of ice while she's prepping the rest to keep them crispy. Friends also tell me that certain plants' leaves will keep them crispy - I think it's black currant leaves. Enjoy!

A couple of days ago I made fresh lemon/zucchini muffins using coconut and almond flour. Today I'm making chili and my version of pho.

Well, I have "conquered" yeast breads (not that it was hard, thanks to Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, but it was new territory to me), so my next goal is tortillas.

I already cook mostly from scratch on a regular basis to save money and for health reasons.

Kara

Made an enormous pot of split pea and ham soup. Wondered how I'd get through it all without getting totally bored. Then my Dad came over... Now I wish I had made more!

Scalloped potatoes and broccoli; strawberry and rhubarb crumble ...both yummy!

Thread Information