Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy Wall Street PROTESTERS Not Letting Up - Nationwide

heydude

Occupy Wall Street PROTESTERS Not Letting Up - Nationwide

Are we finally starting something? The news keeps reporting on the protests that are against wallstreet greed, lack of corporations creating jobs, and no one being held accountable for the financial mess that started this " current economic climate."

They are gathering in a park near wall street and occupying it.

And it is catching on nationwide. Let us rise up.

Have you studied the financial crisis? What actions should be taken against whom, and I am asking for names here, and what impact will your proposed actions have?
    Enjoy the strawberry.

The protesters have sent out requests (pleas?) for everything from poster printing to medical assistance to sleeping bags to caterers. I find it fascinating that the people who would provide such goods and services are the very capitalists that the 'occupants' are protesting against. To move beyond the first round volley of discussion on that idea, yes, I will concede that the donations will likely not come directly from the capitalists, but from donors who purchased the goods and services from the capitalists.

Quote Originally Posted by heydude View Post
    Are we finally starting something?
    Maybe. There is enough anger in the country right now that anything's possible. Still, this seems much closer to that oft quoted "pitch fork wielding mob" than most Tea Party rallies.

They can pound their drums all they like as long as my trades keep clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    The protesters have sent out requests (pleas?) for everything from poster printing to medical assistance to sleeping bags to caterers. I find it fascinating that the people who would provide such goods and services are the very capitalists that the 'occupants' are protesting against. To move beyond the first round volley of discussion on that idea, yes, I will concede that the donations will likely not come directly from the capitalists, but from donors who purchased the goods and services from the capitalists.

Maybe. There is enough anger in the country right now that anything's possible. Still, this seems much closer to that oft quoted "pitch fork wielding mob" than most Tea Party rallies.
    are you kidding with that 2nd paragraph? i have yet to see any signs or chants that come anywhere near the venom, racism, and hatred i've seen at tea party gatherings. i'm not saying that all tea partiers are venomous hate-filled racists, but you have to admit it's a significant subset.

as far as the irony of their donations coming from the "capitalists" they are protesting against, i don't think anyone has called for an end to capitalism as we know it. occupy wall street simply wants protections against its worst excesses. does anyone really think that the wall street focus on next quarter's earnings above all else is a GOOD thing? couldn't we benefit from longer term thinking?

capitalism isn't like being pregnant -- it's not a binary switch that's either on or off. there are LOTS of regulations on the books that i doubt even the most die-hard libertarian would object to (like, say, the provision against lead paint in toys, regulations against dioxin in water, etc). we can have capitalism AND have protections against its worst excesses.
    Wear the Shift: Dresses for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by madgeylou View Post
    i'm not saying that all tea partiers are venomous hate-filled racists, but you have to admit it's a significant subset.
    Uh...., no.
    Enjoy the strawberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    Uh...., no.
    even 1 in 1000 is a significant subset when you share some of the hate-filled images i've seen at tea party rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by madgeylou View Post
    even 1 in 1000 is a significant subset when you share some of the hate-filled images i've seen at tea party rallies.
    This forum often reminds me of my favorite Anais Nin quote: "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

show me one image of anything happening at occupy wall street that is anywhere near as offensive as the worst of the tea party signs?

Do you mean the signs that volunteers from "Crash The Tea Party", used at various Tea Party events a year or more ago? http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/whos-be...party-website/

After being exposed, the Crash The Tea Party site went away, but not before they had accomplished their goal of fooling the willing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information