Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I never learned to ride a bike!

I never learned to ride a bike!

I must confess, I'm 39 years old and I never learned how to ride a bike. I tried when I was a child, but I was too scared and nobody had the patience to stick with me until I got it. Other kids seemed to pick up bike-riding easily, but not me. Sorry to say, I missed out on a lot growing up, as a lot of social activities in my rural area required that we could travel by bike to get to our friends' houses, etc.

Now I'm living in a town where bike-riding is very popular and so many things are within riding distance from my house. I'm tired of driving the 1 1/4 miles to the supermarket. I'd walk, but I'm worried that it would be too hard to carry those bags home that far. I'd really like to learn to ride a bike, but I'm afraid that after all this time, I've built it up as something that's hard to do. Also, falling over might hurt.

Basically, I'm trying to psych myself up to just do it.

Has anyone had to learn to ride a bike as an adult?

Mrs-M
    Originally posted by Stacy.
    I tried when I was a child, but I was too scared and nobody had the patience to stick with me until I got it.
    Awww... This makes me so sad. We learned how to ride a bike on the lawn, so when we fell we had a softer surface to land on. You CAN do it! Find a flat/level lawn to learn on. P.S. Anyone can learn, and it's so fun and easy once you get the jest of it! Wish I could teach you! Better yet, I wish you were one of my kids, because I would have never given up on you. Find someone who knows how to ride and go out with them a few times. I'll bet you'll be riding in a couple of hours! I'll bet you! Do it!

Mrs-M -Thanks for the words of encouragement. My parents were of the mindset that if they had a big family, the older kids would teach the younger kids stuff like that. It didn't always work out, as you can imagine that my older brother and sister had other things to do with their time.
    I want to learn this while the weather is still nice. If I wait until spring, I may lose my motivation again. First things first, I need to actually buy a bike.

I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was in my early 30's. I grew up with horses and riding miles and miles with neighboring farm kids. It really isn't very hard to learn but I'd practice a lot before adding a few grocery bags.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Mrs-M
    Stacy. I think it's my nature, I love teaching people how to do things. Always have. Us older kids always taught and helped the younger ones out when we were growing up. So gratifying that was to me.

I'm so excited for you right now! I wish I could be there for you, right by your side to encourage you, and steady you on that bike! As Float On mentioned, a little practice after you get the hang of things, and you'll be ready to transport those groceries! If I may, here's a little advice, invest in one those little wire mesh baskets for your bike to carry groceries. (Don't hang the bags from the handlebars).

P.S. To be perfectly honest, I think learning to ride a bike when one is older would be way easier than when one is younger. As an adult our reflexes and balance and strength is much more advanced than a younger child's.

In my first post I made the suggestion to you to find someone who knows how to ride and go out with them. It's so helpful to have someone steady and hold the bike upright while you seat yourself, then give you a gentle push to get you started. From there, it's all about maintaining your balance and applying a little pedal power!

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    It really isn't very hard to learn but I'd practice a lot before adding a few grocery bags.
    If I manage to find a decent used bike while the nice weather holds out, I know of lots of bike trails I can't wait to try out. I'll definitely get some practice before I try to carry things.

It's been my experience that you don't learn to ride a bike, the bike will stay up by itself as long as there's energy applied to it. The thing to learn is to trust it to do so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Mrs-M
    Stacy. Alan makes a great point about balance. In reality, your bike will act like a gyroscope, self-balancing itself under momentum.

Just when you have that 'momentum' going don't forget how to apply the brakes gently.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Take the pedals off of the bike. Then take the bike to a hard surface that's a little downhill, get on, push off, hold your legs just slightly away from the side of the bike. Let the momentum keep you going (physics in play here) and you can put your feet down whenever you feel you need to without getting hit by the pedals. Then, when you are confident with your balance, put the pedals back on.

Historically speaking, early bicycles didn't have pedals........

Thread Information