Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I never learned to ride a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    It's been my experience that you don't learn to ride a bike, the bike will stay up by itself as long as there's energy applied to it. The thing to learn is to trust it to do so.
    I think this advice is spot on. I remember when I learned to ride it only took a few tries, basically with my dad shouting "Keep pedaling! Keep pedaling!" as he ran behind me to catch me if I fell.

Wow, look at all the posts. Thanks for the great advice, everyone. When I was a child, I was always afraid to go too fast on a bike. It turns out that I would have probably figured it out at that time if I could have gotten past all that nervousness. I managed to find a bike on freecycle. I was just looking for any old bike, but the person was giving away a brand-new bike, with the tags still on. So I lucked out. I still have to get a lock, helmet, and basket.
    I live in a small city with many bike trails, and it's surrounded by rural land. So I'm pretty lucky that I have a lot of places to bike. I haven't tried out my bike yet, because the past two days have been very windy, and today I'm home sick from work (probably due to the fact I was outside working in the cold wind yesterday). I live a few blocks away from some lovely riverside parks that have nice wide bike trails, so when I feel better, I'll get over there and practice. Time is not on my side, because winter is approaching, and I'd like to learn this before it gets cold and snowy. I don't intend to ride my bike on the ice.
    So, maybe I'll get out there tomorrow, if I'm feeling better!

Mrs-M
    Hi Stacy. I've been thinking of you (daily) ever since you posted this thread. So happy and excited for you I am! Wow! A brand new bike! Way to go on the great find!

Please, please, please (for me), find a nice flat grassy area to learn on. I know I mentioned this earlier on, but it makes for such a better (safer) riding experience when you fall, AND, your brand new bicycle won't get damaged. Yes, learning on grass takes a little extra added oomph from the old legs, but you are still young enough and will have no problem with learning that way.

Sending a get well hug your way this morning. Hope you feel better soon.

Mrs-M,
    Thank you for your concern. I will give it a try on a grassy lot. There are a few of those around here, not to mention the park itself.

Mrs-M
    Hi Stacy. Still thinking of you and your new bike!!! P.S. Hope you're feeling better.

Just jumped in on this post, Stacy you go you can do it! We are rooting for you!

Well, I've procrastinated too long. It's now the time of year when both of my jobs are getting crazy busy, so that means more hours at work. Also, the days are shorter, so it's dark shortly after I get home from work. And, the weather is cold and rainy, soon to be snowy. So I believe I'll wait until next spring before I try out my bike, unless I get very lucky to have a day off that is half-way decent. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Mrs-M
    Oh, pooh! I was hoping you were all trained up and riding by now. Oh well, next year will be time enough. Will help give you something fun and exciting to look forward to when spring arrives. (Wish I lived near you so I could take you out).

Seriously considering getting rid of my road bike, mountain bike, and townie bike and replacing them all with a "Bike Friday," which is a folding bike that is very comfortable and can meet the needs of all the other bikes without taking up lots of room. It fits in the overhead bin in a plane as well for out of town trips, has a low "bar" to step over so can ride a skirt or get on or off easily. Lots of great options! Hope you start riding soon!

Mrs-M
    Bump! Have never stopped thinking about you (and your bicycle), Stacy. Do post an update when you can.

Thread Information