Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cohousing & sustainable neighborhood design.

The deep irony about designing a community is that it's ultimately not about the buildings; though the built environment certainly does affect us quite a bit. It's about the people!

Cohousing is, at it's heart, about people choosing a more collaborative way of life. The Common House and sharing meals is the heartbeat of cohousing. The built environemnt is explicitly designed to reflect the needs of the people. Often other forms of cooperation evolve, like car sharing, child care, etc. The AARP is very interested in how cohousing addresses issues of isolation and poor nutrition for seniors.

My husband and I are looking for a cohousing community to move into in the next few years, hopefully one we can sell our current place and have enough for a downpayment.

Iris Lily, that community you linked to looked to me a little like Celebration, Florida, a place I had the fortune/misfortune to visit this summer. So "perfect" it was really freaky.

Thx for the original tip on the documentary. I will put it on my Netflix list.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris lily View Post
    And the business of new construction fulfilling goals of eco-friendliness and sustainablilty just makes me go "hunh?" A good argument can be made against building any structure new, as that is so intensive in using up earth resources. Retro-fitting old buildings while almost always more expensive that building new is better, though I suppose it depends on the expert consulted.

getting off topic here...
    Great point. Our building is from 1914 or thereabouts and still going strong. Currently with three apts. and housing 14 people. Pretty good density. Shared laundry - surprisingly, it works, even w/ 8 kids in the building. Anyway, again off topic!

Thread Information