Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

I work most of the day today, but I have lunch, tea and snacks ready to go. I'm still feeling stuffy, so that will likely help me avoid getting treats like cocoa or a latte at work. It's Saturday, so we've got live music in the shop and I'm working with two of my favourite coworkers and our park supervisor, who is one of the most interesting people I know. Although, come to think of it I really love all of my coworkers. These mornings are usually pretty relaxing and fun for me, and I can't imagine we'll be too busy until later in the day with people sleeping in a bit today. Kind of like getting paid to spend time at a coffee shop with friends.

We now have a small white board that is erasable on our chest freezer with the inventory of what's inside. This way we can erase and change the numbers of items less and even add some to the bottom. Tried using a file card before which was difficult to update. I'm also in the cook from scratch challenge. Brought up chicken broth and bought some chicken breasts on sale and made soup and set aside some cooked chicken breast aside for sandwiches. Made rice to go with the soup and set it to one side. I don't like what the rice does if it's put in the soup pot...I also would do the same for noodles/pasta for soup.

We're planning another soup-in-your-socks party for Feb. We'll make 4 yummy soups and bread and friends will bring their appetites, appetizers, deserts and assorted beverages.

We also are planning to get our seed order in early and have found a site that has corners for making raised beds and we'll use trex or some kind of composite to make them last. These beds will go in our "front" yard where there is steady sunlight an increase our yield along with the back yard garden. We live in the boonies and don't really care if it isn't common practice to garden more than flowers in the front.

I wanted to go out this morning for breakfast (after going out to dinner last night, sheesh . . . ) but DH was too hungry so he put the kibosh to the idea. It's just as well.

Spent time yesterday organizing upstairs. Was embarrassed to find a pair of unworn, brand new sandals. Doh! Put them with the other sandals to get use out of them this year.

DH has brought in $60 from eBay/CL sales and has more listed. Good boy.

Here I am going to save up for a new bike in 2011. I have two cool used vintage ones but when it comes right down to it, I don't love riding either one. I figure each would sell for a bit (in the spring) since they are cool and in good working condition. Then I can put that, along with my other $$, toward a new one! That plus my technology committee pay from school should be enough!

We are going to power up our retirement contributions this year so our take home will go down. This forum may take on a renewed significance then. We will see!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Ooh... can I join in? I got rid of the $10 monthly fee from my credit union by switching from Premium Checking to Value Checking. I just was not using the extra services that were available. Also, I got rid of HBO and Showtime. I enjoyed a free three month preview, but they are not worth paying an extra $24 a month for.
    Way to go Stacy! Good for you - rethinking things is always smart. I would like to drop our cable channels down to pay less but DH doesn't want to lose all his hunting & science channels.

New year, new forums. This is very exciting and so motivational. So today we hung around the house, took down the Christmas tree. and did some odds and ends. I recently inherited my grandmothers recipe books so I read all about Italian cooking and how their authentic meals differ from ours in America. I made Pizza Rustica for lunch and started with a light broth soup with escarole. Tonight it is fend for yourself leftovers.

I have been cleaning out the freezers and am looking forward to a very frugal grocery shopping month.

Tina

I organized the bookshelves in our office, which have to this time been all of DH's science books, and made a half shelf for my writing reference books so that I can work in there without having to go upstairs to look something up (and be distracted by 10 things on the way). This is frugal because I am certain that DH will rediscover books he had forgotten and be less tempted to acquire new ones. And maybe he'll even find a few he can bear to part with.

Our refrigerator died right before we were heading out of town and so on our return, the new refrigerator has very little in it. I've been managing meals for 3 days from our pantry and separate freezer, including a vegetarian dish for a potluck this afternoon.

Home again with DH after 2 weeks of visiting family. We made sandwiches and brought drinks with us for lunch on the trip so we didn't stop for fast food along the way. I've been really working on making dinners at home (before we went away) and making enough for 2 days each time; I really hope I can continue this in the new year. I'd love to be better at long range meal planning; I'm sure that would help a lot.

This past week I ordered a new water filter (Berkey) since our tap water is so atrocious tasting - and I like to drink water. I'd been buying bottled water, but not only was that expensive, but all the plastic bottles were troubling, even though they all are recycled. The Berkey filters will filter about 3,000 gallons each, and cost $99 for 2, compared to 70 cents/gallon from the store. The filter will pay for itself before the year is out.

And the filter will double as an emergency water source since they claim to filter out bacteria, virus particles, etc. in addition to all sorts of other things dissolved in water.

Another big savings about this was I did not order the $109 filtration structure that the filter was made to fit in, but rather drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the bottom of a plastic tupperware vessel, screwed in the bottom of the filter through the hole, and put it on a rack over a collecting gallon bottle. It is very simply, works very well. And the water makes the tap water taste good. I've also been using the filtered water for icecubes, tea, beef stock, oatmeal, etc.
    moo

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Merski View Post
    We now have a small white board that is erasable on our chest freezer with the inventory of what's inside. This way we can erase and change the numbers of items less and even add some to the bottom.
    This is brilliant! I think I will try this too! Thanks!!

hey everyone! great to see you here!!

i've just been having a great discussion with my fella and his folks about frugality -- they are black belt tightwads and were giving us some ideas on how to work together and save. my fella and i have been living together for almost a year, and it's taken that much time to get used to each others' different ways of doing things, but i think at this point we are ready to set some more detailed joint financial goals and work toward them with intention.

we set up a joint checking account before we left for scotland, to which we will both contribute a set amount per month to pay for household expenses, groceries, gas, etc. i came up with a budget that i think we can do if we set our minds to it. and honestly, seeing how his folks live has been a great motivator. they are not rich by any means, but have been able to retire debt free including no mortgage, and take some great holidays just by working together. hugely inspiring! i want to be like them in 20-30 years!

it's the first time either of us has had a trustworthy and responsible partner to work with, and we are excited to see how much further we can go with a little more attention and co-operation!

Thread Information