Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

madeylou-would love to hear what your fellas folks said about how to work together and to save. trying to keep DH interested.
    -planned the next 2 weeks meals
    -spent the day at home
    -ate leftovers for lunch and dinner

Had a low key, no cost NYE with my goobers and dh. Today has been pretty relaxing. Kids just played with their Christmas toys, and watched movies. I've been reading my new Chapters book (Protecting the Gift) I bought online-free shipping. I had a $25 coupon that I paid $10 for! Yeehaw

madgey that is excellent! We have been having a similar conversation today about working together and setting goals.

When Zach and I got married we were pretty young. I was 24 and he was 20. He'd been out of high school for all of a year and a half. Five minutes later we were pregnant and off to the races building our life and family, which has been super fabulous and I think we've done a pretty good job of it, but we definitely had some growing up to do. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual growing and maturing that happens in your twenties, figuring out how things work, adjusting to parenthood and all that.

We were talking tonight about how it feels like we've really reached a new phase together and we're more on the same page than we ever have been. When we first got married both of us were in that headspace you have when you are a kid that makes your daydreams seem far off and kind of unattainable. Now we've got some experience under our belts. We've got a little more confidence in our abilities and the day to day of family life isn't quite as daunting. We have good kids and a good marriage and we want to build on that and accomplish some further goals together. It kind of feels like learning to play an instrument or learning to cook. We had to put in some time to master the basic skills and gain experience, and now we're ready to let loose and use those skills to create something unique together as a family. We're ready to write our story. It's really exciting thinking about it.

Hello! I've put off grocery shopping for a couple of days now and have been eating from the pantry and freezer. I'm quite happy to have used up some of the leftovers from the freezer (some diced cooked turkey and spanish rice turned into a great fried rice for breakfast this morning).

Same old same old around here. Grocery store spent $47.27. Trying to stick to $50.00 a week so I'm right in line. Did stop at Target and buy Quicken. I want to keep track of categories in spending and I decided this was worth the price.

Other than that just working towards cleaning out, organized the pet supplies cabinet today. Found treats and heartworm medicine hiding in the back. Good, less I have to spend this month.

Resisted the urge to eat out yesterday in spite of jetlag -- had a nice steak dinner at home instead for about 1/3 of what it would have cost to eat something less fancy out. I had thought about getting a couple of videos, but was too lazy to walk to the video shop -- turned out they were having a Harry Potter fest on HBO, so we watched that instead before conking out at about 7:00 pm. I hope we get over our jetlag soon...

lhamo

Jan 01 & 02
    Starting and hoping to stay very frugal...
    --used up due dated milk and three types of cheese to make 2 large casseroles of Mac and Cheese = Supper yesterday, lunch today and a lot for the freezer..
    --box sitting a door as I undecorate from Christmas and giving a lot away
    --all spreadsheets are finished up for 2010 and started for 2011
    --bought a DVD for Dsil for her birthday in Feb. on sale for 1/2 price other then that two no spend days

Glad we are all here..
    ....We are trying to stay hopeful DH's appt at the Cancer Centre on Dec. 31 did not bring good news his kidney cancer has spread to both lungs
    he is being put on a chemo drug therapy that we hope will work...all prayers and good wishes are more then welcome.....

1/1 - Stayed home, ate leftovers for lunch and cheese and crackers for dinner.

Today - went for a long walk at a local park. There was a $2 parking charge, but it was worth it to be able to walk in such a quiet and pretty place. Ate leftovers for lunch again today. Tonight will be cornbread, greens, and leftover adzuki beans. I'll have cornbread for the week, and enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Big spend at our grocery delivery service today, but they were running a big special on meat so I scored several packages of roasts, chops, chicken, etc. that will go in the freezer.

Planned meals for the week and bought all the ingredients, including what I need for tortilla-making at work. While that's not a frugal, it's a load off my mind. I don't have to face the crowds at the mega grocery store to pick up the stuff.

Beef barley tonight with ingredients on-hand, including some produce that's about to go off.

I have decided to stay with my existing ski club rather than pay to join another, so that will save $100.

Not much else to report! Oh! Went swimming at my new favorite pool for $5. I like St. Paul Parks & Rec. Nice facilities for what I need and can't beat the price. I'm about to renew my fitness room privileges for an entire YEAR for $30. Beats having fitness equipment take up room in my teeny house, that's for sure! And no guilt if I don't go all summer because we're outside enjoying wonderful weather.

Back to work and back to routine. I think it will be good for all of us, especially Mr. Corky, the sweet doggy!!
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

@Danna, just looked back and saw your post. Very sorry to hear your news and sending supportive thoughts your way.

(((Danna)))
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Thread Information