Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did Tylenol go?

Where did Tylenol go?

I know the company was having troubles awhile back, but ever since then, I've noticed that Walmart, Target, Marsh and Kroger have quit carrying Tylenol. They all have their own generic acetaminophen now. I wonder if Tylenol just had so many problems that they had to stop making it? I know they still make the Tylenol Arthritis, Exedrine, and tylenol P.M.
    Maybe these other companies just got tired of all their recalls and went generic?
    I miss it. Maybe its just all in my head, but I thought the Tylenol worked better than the generic stuff.
    Is there still Tylenol being sold around where you live?

I have to say that I haven't looked for Tylenol; I find it ineffective for my pain. I think they are reformulating Children's Tylenol now; maybe they will make dosage adjustments for some of their other formulations.
    I have never really noticed a difference with generics, except albuterol, though I think some of the problem with the inhalers is the new propellant.

Tylenol is pretty much the only OTC pain reliever I am allowed to take, post-nephrectomy, so I definitely still buy it, however, I am frugal and am fine with generics, so I only buy acetaminophen, and honestly haven't noticed if the name brand is still on the shelves in my area.

Kara

I have some prescription strength Tylenol that I got after some minor finger surgery this summer. So it's out there.

I use the regular strength Tylenol. It was already hard to find, compared to the extra strength, but now is even harder to find.

The extra-strength Tylenol may well be off the shelves while the company retools. From Consumer Reports:

"The maximum daily dose for Tylenol will be lowered on all acetaminophen-containing adult products from 4,000 mg (8 Extra Strength Tylenol pills) to 3,000 mg (6 pills), the manufacturer said today. The move is intended to reduce the risk of accidental acetaminophen overdoses that can lead to liver failure and death."

Full article here: http://tinyurl.com/Tylenol-Dosage-Reduced

I was wondering about that when I couldn't find the chewable tablets for kids. Thx for the info.

Thanks Jemima,
    I guess it was headed that way for awhile. A few years ago they put out a commercial where a Tylenol spokesperson said "more is not better". Too bad people can't read instructions better. Also, with acetaminophen, you can't use it at full dosage for more than a week or 2. When I called the company to ask why I never saw any coupons for the regular strength, she sent me coupons, but really stressed the importance of not using much of it.
    Maybe if they hadn't gone almost exclusively to the full strength, there wouldn't be so many problems.

Parenthetically, Acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver failure in the U.S. Another "gift" for Pharma.

Take their drugs, wind up in the hospital, generate even more money for the shareholders. Win-win! (OK, call me a cynic.)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Parenthetically, Acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver failure in the U.S. Another "gift" for Pharma.

Take their drugs, wind up in the hospital, generate even more money for the shareholders. Win-win! (OK, call me a cynic.)
    Yep, that's why I, as a one-kidneyed person, am supposed to take acetaminophen instead of NSAIDS (ibuprofin, aspirin, etc). Most drugs (all?) are either processed in the kidneys or the liver. Pick your poison. ~ But seriously, the liver damage is caused from taking too much, and it's easy to stay within recommended amounts. Just gotta read that label.

My husband's taking Celcept (anti-rejection drug) made by Roche. Celcept makes him susceptible to lymphoma. Roche also makes a lymphoma drug. How convenient!

Kara

Thread Information