Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GERD: wedge pillow or bed riser?

GERD: wedge pillow or bed riser?

Was wondering if any of you with GERD have tried raising the head of your bed with risers, or if you found a good wedge pillow that works, (and doesn't end up crunching you up in the middle).
    Thanks.

I suffer from that condition occasionally, such as last night, and find that a wedge pillow works well for me. The one I use is similar to this, in conjunction with a few regular pillows.

I've been reluctant to attempt raising the head of the bed since it's not a common occurance, usually only affecting me several times a month.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Hi Alan,
    I've been reading the reviews on the risers, and most of them are plastic and it sounds like they break easily. If I raise it, I think I'll just use some wood.
    But I think I'll try a wedge pillow first. Sounds like the 7" high pillows are a good height (with your own pillow on top of that). One place sold them that were 12" high and it sounds like that's just too high.
    If I did raise the head of the bed with wood, do you think that would stress the wooden frame of the bed?

I think that depends on how high you raise it. You could probably raise the head a few inches without putting too much stress on the legs, but I'm not sure a few inches will help the GERD that much. I find that I really need to get into an almost sitting position in order to get relief, and that would certainly be too high to raise the bed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks Alan. They say that 6" is all you need to raise it, but you're right......if you really have reflux bad, that's not enough.
    Thanks for your input. (and good luck with your reflux!)

My DH has GERDs and we tried the bed rising several years ago, but once we found the wedge pillow it was so much better. He has gone through about 3 or 4 by now, and would never go back to trying to raise the bed or sleeping with ordinary pillows. It helps greatly, and a plus that we didn't know about was it also help his snoring!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thanks Shalom Poet. How tall is the one your DH uses? I've been reading the reviews online and it sounds like the 12" one is too high for some. Just curious how high the one is that your DH uses. I'm glad it worked for him!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Thanks Shalom Poet. How tall is the one your DH uses? I've been reading the reviews online and it sounds like the 12" one is too high for some. Just curious how high the one is that your DH uses. I'm glad it worked for him!
    Sorry, I've had out of town visitors and have been away from the forums for a couple of days. The pillow he uses is about 9 inches at the high end, and tapers down to almost nothing.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thanks!

I have tried it both ways and prefer a tiered pile of pillows. Putting the bed on risers makes it look goofy, is hard to make and I kept finding myself sliding to the foot of the bed! But, I am a side sleeper, so I am sure that the curve is not doing my back any favors.

I take generic Prilosec and it has put a stop to most of the problem.
    I may not run with the wind in my hair, but I do get winded.

Thread Information