Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about memory foam

Question about memory foam

On the memory foam mattresses/pillows, etc., I don't understand how it can work. If you make a big imprint on the foam with your body, and then change positions, don't you keep falling back into the imprint for awhile, until it comes back up? And if it does "give" when you lay on it, does that mean there's no support?
    Thanks.

We got a memory foam mattress topper 2 months ago and it has saved my sleep! It's only a 3" thick topper though, not a whole memory foam mattress, so I can't speak to how those are. Anyway, yes, it contours to your body, but there's no "recovery time" needed. When I switch positions (which I do a lot since I am a fidgeter), it never feels as if there is an imprint left behind to fall into.

Everyone needs different amounts of support, but I definitely feel like it's soft and supportive. Our mattress (that we put the topper on) was always too hard for me, and consequently, I had a lot of stiffness and achiness in the mornings. That is gone.

We got it at Costco for a great price.

Kara

Thanks Kara!
    I used to love firm mattresses, but no more.
    On the couch, I use a featherbed underneath me and its pretty comfy. Hmmm.....I didn't think about putting that under me in the bed. Maybe I should try that first.
    Thanks Kara!

I have a Tempur-Pedic mattress, and I love it. I went to the store and lay on the mattresses w/ varying levels of support, and ended up getting a firmer mattress w/ a pillowtop. Since I had my Tempur-Pedic pillow for over 20 years, I knew I'd be happy w/ the bed, and I am. The Tempur-Pedic brand is very expensive, but worth every penny to me - and the 20 year warranty doesn't hurt either. I will say that I think there is a big difference between "memory foam" mattresses and Tempur-pedics, and to me the Tempur-Pedics win hands down. I even converted my neighbor, who thought all memory foam bed materials were the same until she actually lay on the Tempur-Pedic mattress. I never get hot. The foam gives just the right amount, and while there's a momentary imprint when you roll over, it's quickly gone. Sorry to sound like an ad, but if you have back issues like I do, the Tempur-Pedic mattress feels great.

I've been googling this alot. Lots of queen size memory foam toppers are about $150. The Tempur-pedic was close to $1,000! Not sure I can do that.

Our bed is a California King, so we had to spend $165 to get the 3" thick topper. It was a stretch for us, budget-wise, but I am happy to cut back on groceries for a few months to get a good night's sleep.

It's so hard to know for sure what what to purchase, though. You can read and research, but in some ways, it's a leap of faith. Costco has a good return policy, so I felt better about buying from them.

Cathy, feel free to come out to California and lay on my bed to test it out.

Kara

Thanks Kara.........I just bought my ticket.

Sweet. I forgot to mention that you need to be ok with cat and dog fur on the bed. Not much of either because only one cat gets on the bed and doesn't spend much time there, and the greyhounds don't shed much. But it's there and must be mentioned.

Seriously though, I really hope you find a good sleeping solution. Everything in life is harder to deal with without good sleep.

Kara

Well, I guess that might be a deal-breaker, as I do have an ongoing fur-ball problem. I take olive oil every day and massage my throat, but its so darned persistent. I guess I'll have to get a refund on the ticket.

My sleep is sooooooo much better since I have been using cpap. (2 and 1/2 years). A comfy bed is icing on the cake! (or should I say a comfy couch).
    (I'm getting my posts mixed up.......I sleep on a very comfy couch now. I'm just feeling a bit weird about it. Have been sleeping there for about 10 years and would really like to go back to a bed. We'll see what I can do.)
    Last edited by CathyA; 10-19-11 at 1:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Well, I guess that might be a deal-breaker, as I do have an ongoing fur-ball problem. I take olive oil every day and massage my throat, but its so darned persistent. I guess I'll have to get a refund on the ticket.
    LOL (really and truly!)! Thanks for that; I needed a laugh this morning!

Psyllum husk powder sprinkled on food works for my older cat's hair ball problem.

Kara

Thread Information