Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluten-free ready-made pizza crust?

Gluten-free ready-made pizza crust?

Anyone have a favorite? How about Udi's ready made crust?
    Thanks.

Slightly tastier than cardboard, if you baste it with butter and minced garlic and pre-bake it for six minutes or so before adding toppings. It will certainly do in a pinch.

Fortunately, I have a local pizzeria that makes wonderful GF pies. Their outrageous cost makes them an occasional indulgence.

I haven't made this for a long time, but it would be gluten free. I used to cut potatoes really thin and place them in a couple of over lapping layers in a well greased cast iron skillet and then top with dotted butter. I would then place that in the oven for I think about 45 mins at it seems like 425. Then I would take it out, put my pizza toppings on and return it to the oven for another 10-15 mins. It was in my back to land phase, when we had a big garden and lots of potatoes and I didn't want to spend money on flour, which now seems a little silly. But, it was tasty. I actually really liked the "fried potato" taste with the pizza ingredients.

There are recipes on line for crust based on finely-ground cauliflower, as well. One of my favorite pizza variants is pizza quiche, but I'm too lazy to make it often.

Thanks Jane and Aqua Blue,

I just found out our local Kroger's carries the Udi's crust, so I'll get that for starters. I usually put onions, red pepper and
    spinach on our frozen pizzas, so I'll probably do the same for this. I'll need to get cheese and pizza sauce. Yes, I'll check the ingredients first.
    I wonder why gluten-free has to be so expensive. Maybe as more and more people turn to it, the prices will come down. I started to ask my DD what she uses, then remembered she was Vegan, not gluten-free. haha Can't keep all this stuff straight!

Keep in mind that many gluten-free products are made with flours and starches that have an even higher glycemic index than wheat, like tapioca, cornstarch, rice flour. GF doesn't mean it's "health food" or lower in carb count.

You could use GF tortillas to make individual pizzas, or a recipe for socca, a chickpea flour flatbread that is very easy to make.

I've seen zucchini-mozzarella cheese crust recipes, similar to the cauliflower crust noted above.

Thanks for that info Rosemary. That's a good point. If a person had troubles with carbs, they will still have troubles, even with gluten-free.
    The GF tortilla shells is a good idea.

Gluten free mixes are so expensive because the various flours are really expensive. It's silly really, since most of the flours used are from rather common ingredients like tapioca or potato or rice, but I guess because it's 'special' they get away with charging more. Plus the mills have to test their flours regularly to make sure they are truly gluten free. Also xanthan gum, a key ingredient in gluten free baked goods, is outrageously priced.
    I know all this because my sister makes and sells gluten free mixes and fresh goods at the farmers market. Also I helped her develop many of the recipes (my daughter is gluten free) Sorry, she doesn't have a web site (not yet, but soon hopefully) but she does have a delicious pizza crust mix, plus a focaccia mix that I use for pizza.
    Actually the potato crust sounds yummy. I think I'll try it.
    And Rosemary is right. gluten free doesn't necessarily mean healthy, but then no one eats a ho ho for their health! When you can't have gluten, it's nice to be able to have the choices others have, even if it isn't health food. Man can not live on Tofu Seaweed Bites with Spinach Flax Sprinkles alone!

I don't use many specifically gluten-free products that mimic wheat for that very reason, but I will have the occasional pizza or hamburger between pieces of toast, so I keep them in my freezer. For the most part, just eating non-grain whole foods makes it easy to be both gluten-free and low-carb/paleo.

I made a pizza last night using Udi's pizza crust. It was okay......a bit leathery, but I'm not that particular. I bought some Ragu pizza sauce and used some strips of mozzarella cheese, red pepper, onion, and lots of spinach. I think I'll make a trip to Whole Foods next week and see if they have the GF tortilla shells. I think those would have to end up crispier than the Udi's, with less carbs in general.

Thread Information