Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Had an interview today

Wow--that's crazy! Reminds me of a Canadian pen pal whose husband emigrated from Scotland. They've been married a couple of years now and apparently his attempts to become a citizen are moving at a snail's pace.

Unfortunately, it's not the HR lady I am waiting to hear from--it's the lady I actually interviews with. She didn't mention anything about a holiday, but you never know: people get sick, emergency projects pop up, etc. Trying to keep my chin up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoebird View Post
    Hopefully, it's good news.

I remember when I called immigration to hear about our visas. I'd called and was told "don't worry, you'll hear from us within the week." then I didn't hear from them, so I waited another week, and then called them. I discovered then that my immigration officer was on holiday. I asked when she would get back. They told me, and I said I would call back then.

I noted the date and called her back. I learned that she had been let go, and that she'd completely mishandled my case. So, I'd been forwarded to a new officer, who hadn't yet gotten ahold of me because SHE went on holiday when the other woman got/back and was let go! So I asked when she would be back from holiday, and was given the date.

I called -- and this was 5 months after submitting my forms!!! -- and she said that she hadn't even looked at our case yet, but would get back to me in a week.

Thankfully, she did, and told me we needed X, Y, and Z to complete the documents. I sent her those things post haste, and then she said it would be "at least three months."

good lord. luckily, the people from whom we were buying the business started acting up, and immigration gave us a special dispensation at the last minute so that we could buy the business. And, the rest is herstory.

I hope that the HR person is on holiday.

Companies delay and delay making hiring decisions, it just seems to be the way things are (the "we really like you and are still quite interested, but we are still going through the rest of the ten million candidates we have for the first round of interviews first" excuse etc.).
    Trees don't grow on money

I had to laugh at the "ten million candidates" thing.

However, another day has passed, and I've heard nothing. I am going to assume I didn't get the job. Every other job for which I've been hired, they got right back in touch with me. Maybe things are different today, but I just have a funny feeling.

I just wish I knew WHY. I seemed like a perfect candidate. There are of course a lot of reasons: nepotism, someone younger that they can pay less, etc. etc.

typically, they hire someone they know. so, it was probably someone 'in network' -- do not worry, you are still perfect.

and hopefully, you'll be back to work soon.

i'm sorry that you (likely) didn't get this job.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I'm sorry. I hope that something comes up soon.

I don't understand the "someone younger" comment. When we hire, age has nothing to do with the salary we offer. There is a limited range, and if you are 20 or 40, you get that range.

ladyinblack, I know it can be frustrating to wait. Give it an appropriate time then call and find out. If you were not chosen it is not out of line to thank the person for their time and politely ask what skills they could suggest you work on so the next time you will be successful. And I know it's hard but try, try, try not to take it personally. Best wishes...

Well, folks, the show's over.

I got the rejection letter just now.

I will probably e-mail the interviewer to thank her and ask her if there's any feedback she could give me on my performance. I've done this before; sometimes it works, sometimes you hear nada.

Thank you all for your good wishes. I am going to crawl back into my hole now and lick my wounds.

Aw. Most of the jobs I've gotten by the way they took a long time to get back to me. I think I don't sizzle and shine and blow them over, but then they still need an employee and ... (also just background checks when they are doing it can take forever, I don't even want to know how extensive they must be, we're certainly not talking government clearance jobs or anything). Just for future reference.

I wanted to see you post and say you got the job here, but unfortunately not to be.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Well, folks, the show's over.

I got the rejection letter just now.

I will probably e-mail the interviewer to thank her and ask her if there's any feedback she could give me on my performance. I've done this before; sometimes it works, sometimes you hear nada.

Thank you all for your good wishes. I am going to crawl back into my hole now and lick my wounds.
    It's their loss.

Thread Information