Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't get the pie crust thing

I can't get the pie crust thing

I do really well with baking but pie crust?! I use a can't think of the name but whatever that thing is that cuts the shortening into the flour to make small particles; i use ice cold water; i am very careful on not over handling it; use rolling pin with special sock; only handle it to turn it a 1/4 to roll again

my problem is that it always breaks apart on me; and i use a pie crust in a recipe to make pasties (meat, potatoes etc. pies) and i can never get it to fold over; again with out it breaking

please any help would be appreciated

thanks ever so much
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Try adding an egg to the pie crust recipe. The additional protein makes the pie dough tougher. And be sure to use white or unbleached flour. Whole wheat flour or even a 50/50 mix is much harder to handle.
    Mrs. Hermit

I was given this recipe 30 years ago, still use it today.

3 cups flour
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup + 2 Tbsp shortening
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 tsp. white vinegar
    5 Tbsp water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine slightly beaten egg, vinegar and water. Sprinkle over dry ingredients and mix with a fork. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes before rolling out.

Makes two 9" crusts or even two 8" double crusts if you can roll it out that thin.

For baked crusts - 12 to 15 minutes at 375F or until light golden brown.

You'll smell the vinegar while it's baking, but not after it's done and no vinegar taste, either. Letting it rest is important, it will make the dough more pliable. Even rolled out really thick, you'll still end up with a really flaky crust!
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

I've not done the egg but do add the vinegar or sprite/7-up or even a bit of beer. Always makes it flaky.
    Are you rolling yours too thin to make it fall apart? I never could do the fork or tool method. I always use my hands to crumble it together and slowly adding liquid 1 t at a time.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Do you have a food processor? I have a mini food processor that fits on top of my blender control (bought it back in 1987, so I don't know if this thing is even made any more). I use very cold butter and unbleached white flour in my pie crust; process with the blade until the mixture is fine crumbs, then dribble in very cold water as it processes. It will process into a ball; just as soon as the ball spins around the bowl a time or three, I roll it out. This has worked for me far better than trying to use a pastry cutter.

Here's another one. After years and years and years and suggestions and suggestions and suggestions here's what works for me. Flour and butter flavored Crisco (a local restaurant owner known for her pies said the only thing to use is real lard but I just couldn't). Cut the Crisco into the flour with a pastry cutter and add ice water (I put a cup of water in the refrigerator until just before it freezes) just enough to get it to stick together. Form a ball, wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Unwrap, place pastry ball between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out.

Hope one of these suggestions works as well for you as this has worked for me. It's a real sense of accomplishment in later adulthood to finally be able to make a tender, tasty pie crust.

I'm a dismal failure when it comes to pie crust. The first time I made it I actually ended up throwing it at the wall in frustration waking up my room mate who was sleeping on the other side of said wall.

I have finally come to the conclusion that the stuff in the box works well for me. Unroll it and voilla! I admire your tenacity. I gave up decades ago.

I occasionally cheat and buy ready-made pastry, but normally only filo and suchlike.

My Granny always said that once you have made the pastry, wrap it and leave for at least 30 mins to an hour before rolling out. It seems to work for me!

Pies have been one of the successful things I have actually been able to bake. I use a recipe that is basically butter and flour (I think that's pate brisee in the lingo). Something like this:
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_pie_crust/

Hey, it works!

PS Oh, and handle only minimally - I mean just enough to get it into the pan.

wow you guys have opened my eyes; eggs/vinegar etc. was not even aware of that; i don't have a food processor; and i have cut it thick and thin; but also wasn't aware of putting in the fridge; letting it sit etc.; and i do like to mix the bread and butter/shortening by hand in other recipes, i just thought it was a no no with the pie crust; i shall experiment!!! and will let you know;

oh and thanks for the recipe; never thought of butter; but will copy; this has been very helpful;
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Thread Information