Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I can't get the pie crust thing

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Here's another one. After years and years and years and suggestions and suggestions and suggestions here's what works for me. Flour and butter flavored Crisco (a local restaurant owner known for her pies said the only thing to use is real lard but I just couldn't). Cut the Crisco into the flour with a pastry cutter and add ice water (I put a cup of water in the refrigerator until just before it freezes) just enough to get it to stick together. Form a ball, wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Unwrap, place pastry ball between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out.

Hope one of these suggestions works as well for you as this has worked for me. It's a real sense of accomplishment in later adulthood to finally be able to make a tender, tasty pie crust.

I agree with the lard. Lard is the best. I don't feel squeamish about it at all. I rarely make pastry. However, I have heard the best Lard for baking is 'leaf lard' and I have no idea where to get that, and is it really worth the price? I'm going to make chicken pot pie tonight. I plan on making the crust. I'm not good at crusts, but I'm going to try. I have generic crisco and butter on hand, so that's what it will be.

check out the Pioneer woman's comparisons of pie crust shortenings: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...fats-revealed/ Oh, and by the way, I saw an article about pie crusts and it also included using nut butters as she shortening! I've never heard of that!http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/di...l?pagewanted=2

My mom was the best pie baker in the world. Her crust could not be beat. My sister is very good too but I could always tell which was which. Mom's pointers were to use very cold shortening, handle as little as possible, use a pastry cutter until the shortening is the size of peas, wrap and let sit in the fridge for about half an hour.

I use butter because I want to minimize the amount of ingredients I keep on hand. When I was trying to perfect my pie crust, a friend told me that in her experience most people are more focused on the filling and don't really notice the pie crust. Since my family likes crumb topped pies, I believe this is true.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    I use butter because I want to minimize the amount of ingredients I keep on hand. When I was trying to perfect my pie crust, a friend told me that in her experience most people are more focused on the filling and don't really notice the pie crust. Since my family likes crumb topped pies, I believe this is true.

Or maybe people just don't know what really good pie crusts should taste like? I sure don't like a bad pastry crust.

The crust makes it or breaks it for me. The filling can't carry it alone.

I use the recipe on the Crisco box...it's easy, perfect, try it!

Thread Information