Thread: "Who's doing the grunt work? You are."

"Who's doing the grunt work? You are."

I read this in the newspaper, and found it very illuminating. It explains why we are so tired. As much as I try to simplify my life, it seems there are so many little things to do... Some quotes from the article appear below:

Who's doing the grunt work? You are.
    Article by: CRAIG LAMBERT
    Updated: October 31, 2011 - 6:16 PM

Even so, [a law firm partner] was scanning and bagging her purchases in the self-service checkout line. ...Nonetheless, she was performing the unskilled, entry-level jobs of supermarket checker and bagger free.

This is "shadow work," a term coined 30 years ago by the Austrian philosopher and social critic Ivan Illich, in his 1981 book of that title. For Illich, shadow work was all the unpaid labor -- including, for example, housework -- done in a wage-based economy.
    In the industrialized world, few of us live in a subsistence mode, so shadow work is ubiquitous: shopping, paying bills, housework. Digital technology -- with its spam, e-mail, texting, smart phones and so on -- is steadily ramping up the burden of shadow work for all whose lives revolve around its magnetic field.
    Today, all those [gas station tasks] have been transferred to the customer: we pump our own gas, squeegee our own windshield, and pay our own bill by swiping a credit card. Where customers once received service from the service station, they now provide "self-service" -- a synonym for "no service."

And still we are getting fatter, so I can't accept that we are working harder, if that's the premise of this post.

Interesting, I've noticed the change over the years and often think that those are jobs high school kids used to do and are no longer available to them. I operate a farm and do true 'grunt work' and I am usually fatigued and sometimes sore at the end of the day. The shadow work described in the article would just keep me limber.

I would love to have a full-service gas station! I remember when they would clean your windshield and check your oil. That was great.

I do think that so many jobs today require sitting in front of a computer for hours on end, and I do find that fatiguing.

I don't think the small tasks involved in shopping are going to tire one out (especially if you seldom shop.)

Mrs-M
    An enlightening article. Thanks for this Life_is_Simple. Sure made me think twice about a few things I more than likely wouldn't have given so much as a thought to had you not posted this.

Wouldn't it be great to be in a legal position to be able to issue bills to all the large corporations/businesses related to services provided! Imagine the kerfuffle that would cause!!!

Thread Information