Thread: Found some gluten-free brown rice tortilla shells!

Found some gluten-free brown rice tortilla shells!

I'm going to try to use these for pizza crust tomorrow. I tried Udi's pizza crust last week, but it wasn't the greatest. We'll see how this goes. Any tips when using tortilla shells for pizza crusts? I wasn't going to crisp it up before adding other things (cheese, onion, red pepper, spinach), but maybe I should??
    Thanks for any input!

We use Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix and it's terrific. We also use the same company's bread mix for making garlic bread to go with our pizza, and it is delicious! Udi's bagels are OK, but I'm not that fond of the bread...it's expensive and the pieces are small.

Crisping might be good as you suggested

Thicker tomato/pasta sauce is better than juicier.

May want to saute onions and peppers first.

Cooking and draining spinach first works best unless you are just adding fresh shredded spinach right when it comes out.

Usually I only add the sauteed vegetables and cheese the last five minutes.

Some people like to put the cheese on in the beginning but put it under the tomato sauce.
    Last edited by Amaranth; 11-4-11 at 11:10am.

Thanks Selah and Amaranth.

What is the brand name of the tortilla shells? Thanks

They are Food For Life Brown Rice Tortilla shells. I got them in the refrigerated tortilla section of Whole Foods.

I made the pizza tonight and it was really good. I can't say I could taste the tortilla, but it was nice and crisp and held up well. I baked it directly on the oven rack at 400 F. and it took about 4-5 minutes. Yum. Next I'll try the tortilla shells as a roll-up. I think you could cut them into smaller pieces and season them and bake them for chips......but then eating ready-made tortilla chips would be easier. I guess corn chips would be gluten-free too.
    I could have used corn tortilla shells for the pizza, but could only find them in the small size and wanted a larger pizza.

Thread Information