Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday Food Gifts

I've made a yeast bread ring similar to the photo before, with a cranberry-pecan filling. It is just a different shape - no more difficult.

Food gifts I've given - biscotti, bread (yeast, sweet, quick), cookies, homemade mulling spices (smelled fabulous, with whole spices - beautiful to look at, too), granola (for some reason people think it is difficult to make!), homemade whole grain pancake mix (with a bottle of real maple syrup)...

I've made vanilla for myself before. Pretty easy, but it definitely was not as concentrated in the vanilla flavor as commercial pure vanilla extract.

I like the pancake idea, too. I think DH has done that in the past.

Granola is a good one. We have a recipe from the White Gull Inn in Door County, WI. DH's family is nuts over their stuff; that would also make a good gift for any of them.

That reminds me that if we are doing contributions to Thanksgiving again this year that I might make a White Gull Inn coffee cake. Very delicious and very naughty.
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm working on the perfect "soup in a jar" for this year. I've found lots of good-sounding recipes online, but my personal goals for this are (1) calling for only 2 other ingredients, plus water and the jar contents; and (2) gotta be delicious; and (3) not have so many grains that with all the water needed it makes 2 gallons of soup; and (4) it's gotta fit into a pint jar (partly because of reason #3, partly 'cause that's what I have on hand).

I am very close, but still need to tweak it a bit. I joked in the other thread that DH was gonna get sick of this soup, 'cause I have to keep experimenting with it.

I ADORE gifting like this. It seems both so frugal and so personal. What is more a "gift of love" than something you've worked on from your kitchen, something to nurture both the body and the soul? It seems to me that gifts from our kitchens really embody the spirit of what Christmas should mean.

That looks beautiful and I'm wondering how to get on your christmas list! lol

I remember one year a lady at camp made braided bread for everyone for a gift, but she did something to them for them to be a display item not a food item. I didn't really see the point of making bread you couldn't eat and one of the directors actually tried to cut into his loaf.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm thinking about making gougeres. It's a French puff pastry roll with gruyere cheese in it. Even though it's French, I think I'm going to add some minced garlic, Italian herbs, and parmesan cheese on top to make it festive-looking.

Last year I made blackberry-ginger balsamic vinegar and it was a hit. Might do that again this year with different flavorings - easy and delicious.

Orange-Almond Buiscotti

Grease & Flour Cookie Sheet

Preheat oven to 350
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt
    zest of 1 orange
    1/2 cups coarse chopped almonds

Mix all dry ingredients. Make a well and add: 3 lightly beaten eggs (I usually use 4 eggs)
    1 Tbs oil
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1/2 tsp orange extract

Mix all ingredients with fork or fingers until a ball forms.
    Divide ball in half. Form each into cylinders about 1” high, 2 1/2” wide and 8” long. Bake 30-35 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool 15 minutes. Slice into 1/2” slices and put on cookie sheet and return to 350 oven for about 15 minutes. Turn over halfway through. Aim for hard on outside and chewy on inside.

Variation: Orange-Cranberry
    zest of 1 orange
    1/2 tsp orange extract
    1/4 cup shopped walnuts
    scant 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries (if cranberries are sweetened cut back on sugar)

One trick I have is to stand the biscotti up on the cookie sheet so I don't have to turn them over for the second baking. These freeze very well. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Merski; 11-11-11 at 5:51pm.

I always make fudge and sugar plums. I think I'll add fruit cake this year. I love fruit cake.

Nella, would you share your sea-salt caramel recipe??

Thread Information