Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift-Gifts?

Thrift-Gifts?

So, i was looking at my christmas budget, and I normally get consumables for everyone -- locally made stuff -- and I have found stuff that's in my price range. It's this beautiful muscle rub that is good for arthritis as well, everyone loves it, and it's $5 for a little pot that lasts (with daily use) about 6 months. So, it's a good buy.

I'm thinking now about "kiwiana" as the second part of the gift, and using our 'ebay' that we have here to find funky gifts to go along with the e-balm. I'm thinking things like tea tray covers with kiwiana images, or those weird old spoons that might have been made into jewelry, and so on.

my fear is that people for whom i need to buy gifts won't like 'em. I usually bomb out at gift giving because our budget is so low -- usually $30 per person (for 10 people). my husband and I do not buy each other gifts, nor do we buy gifts for our DS at the holidays.

this year, the $30 also has to include shipping, so it comes to about $22 a person.

the various 'kiwiana' things that i have found -- from table clothes and napkins to carved shells and spoons to all sorts of odd things -- have come in around $10 a piece, and with the $5 balm, that's under budget, and means I can actually get some nice wrappings and/or locally made sweets as well.

i hate disappointing people.

The coolest thing I've done recently was learn how to knit socks. I use high quality yarn I get at Goodwill& people get warm, woolen, handmade socks. I recommend it!

yeah, me and knitting haven't worked out well. i've tried it several times. i just can't get my fingers around it. i also can't sew. i've tried that. I've taken classes (free ones) with the loveliest people, and one lady just said "darling, i think you are hopeless." LOL she said it with humor though.

Wow, $30 a person seems to be a lot! Sad that you buy for 10 people but not DS or your DH. I say you buy for DS and DH and sod the rest of them-haha

Ok..can you ship something that isn't too heavy? I say you skip the kiwiana-as they seem geared to a particular taste. And stick to the local sweets and the arthritis rub-which is great for the older crowd not so great for the teens though

Can you ship everything in one big box and have a patriarch or matriarch distribute among family-that may help with shipping costs.

I love consumables-especially foreign treats I can't get locally.

Yeah, I agree with Mighty Frugal: I'd go for getting more personalized gifts and spend less. A lot of books cost a lot less than $30. I love the idea of local sweets. Are there local artisans that have jewelry that's not quite $30?

I think if people know you picked out something just for them, they're not about to count the cost.

And I would DEFINITELY get DH and DS something with the savings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When I have to ship or take gifts with me I tend toward flat things like calendars, or a special interest magazine. Most people can use an extra calendar in some way. In the US printed matter mails for less that other stuff.

zoe, I hope that someday you can ignore whatever social pressure you feel to give gifts and just not do it. Each year I read about the angst and tension here from many posters, and I harken back to those days when I was younger and more unsure about gift giving, so I gave them. I empathize.

Now, being older and wiser, I do not give obligation gifts. Only when I a moved to do so do I give a gift, and seldom is it store-bought. I only give when I enjoy it! In the last phase of my life, it is all about me, ha ha. Hope you get there soon!

I guess I would not try to do a "one fits all gift". As others stated, try to give to the person something they would really like. I give book gift cards and tea cards to the ones who really enjoy them. $22 or $30 is a nice gift!

Surprise them all with Lottery tickets!! No? Okay.
    Yes, I agree with some here, that's a lot considering how many you buy for. And then have to ship it, to boot. We don't exchange gifts anymore (yay!) except we all give the ONE grandkid something.
    My daughter and I think a lot alike for gifts. Last Mother's Day, I gave her four strawberry plants and she gave me two grapevines. LOL

Hey, do you have any herbs or something like that? Homemade teas, or ship a few little flower bulbs in a little cute plastic pot. Dig up a little blueberry plant and send it in a little wooden basket, that kind of thing?
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

Cute thrift store vintage teacups filled with really good chocolate.

Thread Information