Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you successfully painted cabinet hinges?

Have you successfully painted cabinet hinges?

Hi all

As you may have heard, DH and I have a new house. We are working on some remodeling and one of the ideas I have is to spray paint our kitchen cabinet hinges. They are ok, but I don't like the color. I thought if I could paint those and purchase new knobs (old knobs are ugly regardless of color ) then we could save a few bucks. But the Interwebs seem to have mixed feelings about this approach. Anyone had success at it?
    Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

I haven't, but one of my brothers did hinges and knobs about 2 years ago and they still look great. Recently he said he has had to respray paint the knobs on the cultery drawer and the cupboard under the sink. I suppose those had gotten more wear in the past two years. I think the hinges have been no trouble at all. They had been that ugly brass color and are now a brushed nickel. I know he did some prep work and it took him a while, but I don't know the specifics.

I painted my kitchen cabinet hinges a little over a year ago and they still look great. There was a fair amount of prep work involved - removing them, cleaning them thoroughly, sanding lightly, priming, and finally two coats of spray paint.

Cool! I have hope! Further advice still welcome, of course . . .
    Kelli

Holy moly! Turns out DH kind of likes them the way they are We'll see. If I go for it and can remember, I will post a pic here when it's done.
    Kelli

Could you wipe black or brown paint over the hinges (then wipe most of it off), so the dark color stays in the grooves and the whole thing is toned down? After that, give it a shot of spray urethane?

I had a really neat looking set of hooks, but didn't like the bold, brassy finish. I first spray painted them silver - they looked worse at that point. Then I wiped on black acrylic paint. Now they look almost like brushed nickel.
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

We spray painted hinges and knobs gloss black in 1995. Still looks good. Sometimes I get so confused with conflicting internet information, I'd much rather go with info from those who have done it.

I totally missed that you ended up buying a new house! Are you going to rent out the old one or did you sell it?

I'm glad to hear positive experiences with painting hinges...I was wondering if the paint would wear off fairly quickly, but it looks like if you do it correctly it can last a long time. Good to know.

Yes, jennipurrr, we are going to rent our our current home. We start remodeling this weekend!!
    Kelli

Never did it, but DH says you've got to take them off, clean the old paint off (turpentine, maybe?) and then make sure the hinge surface will accept the new paint. I don't know if that would involve light sanding or what. Personally, it sounds like too much trouble. then again, almost any home improvement sounds like too much trouble to me. tee hee

Thread Information