Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby aspirin for dogs

Geila

Baby aspirin for dogs

Has anyone used baby aspirin to help with their dog's arthritis?

A friend told me he gives his senior dog one baby aspirin every day. I started doing it a couple of weeks ago with my own and it looks like it's really helping him. But my friend has a small spaniel and I have a large dog - almost 100 lbs. I'm wondering if I should be giving him 2 aspirins a day instead of the one. I'm hoping someone here knows if it's safe to do so.

I suggested this to my Vet last year as I did not like giving my little old dog the strong pills from the Vet. I was told baby Asprin causes internal bleeding, so do not give to often. I did research this on the net at the time and found the same warnings.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    I suggested this to my Vet last year as I did not like giving my little old dog the strong pills from the Vet. I was told baby Asprin causes internal bleeding, so do not give to often. I did research this on the net at the time and found the same warnings.
    Did the research say at what point it becomes dangerous? My dog's arthritis only seems to bother him when it's cold - Nov thru Mar. I wonder if giving it to him during that time will be enough to cause the internal bleeding.

What did you end up doing with your dog?

I've given my dog a 325mg aspirin for a fever per vets direction on a couple of occasions but no dosage of aspirin on a regular basis because of the bleeding issue. My senior dog is 14 and for arthritis takes 1 oz of K-9 liquid glucosamine per day and a Rymidol tablet for pain occasionally if needed. This regime works well and if she goes without the glucosamine for a period of time it shows.
    Last edited by goldensmom; 11-13-11 at 6:29am.

Have you tried the herbal supplement Dog Gone Pain? Or Duralactin? Much more gentle than aspirin. Rymidol has serious side effects and usually used as a last resort, when at the end of life to restore some quality. Acupuncture helps a lot too. Even flax seed oil can help with inflammation.

Also fish oil helps. My dog is 8 and has some difficulty with his back "knee" which was injured when he was a pup. I give him 1000 mg of fish daily. My vet recommended it and it seems to be helping. Mine is about a 22 lb terrier. When I give him asprin, not on a regular basis I give him the non enteric coated. My vet said that dogs can't digest the coating and so it doesn't do them any good.

watergoddess,
    I ended up giving whatever the meds were from my vet (sorry I do not remember) for a short time. The little old girl is a 12 year old chihuahua mix. I felt bad medicating and we called them the happy pills. But when the pills ran out you could watch her grumpiness and pain start back up, right or wrong I just could not give them to her. She but mostly me has just learned to live with it. She will let me know when it is to much

Geila
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll take him to the vet and see what he says, unfortunately my vet is closed till Nov 30th.

Just be careful with Ibuprofen - my understanding is that it is toxic to dogs and cats.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I've given my dog a 325mg aspirin for a fever per vets direction on a couple of occasions but no dosage of aspirin on a regular basis because of the bleeding issue. My senior dog is 14 and for arthritis takes 1 oz of K-9 liquid glucosamine per day and a Rymidol tablet for pain occasionally if needed. This regime works well and if she goes without the glucosamine for a period of time it shows.
    I wanted to mention glucosamine, too. One the advice of our vet, we gave "human" glucosamine pills (the tablets for humans being much cheaper, at Costco, than the ones available for pets) to our last senior dog, and they really helped her. It takes a while to see the results, and it had to be a daily thing, but that was no big deal. That dog was an excellent pill taker.

Kara

Thread Information