Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby aspirin for dogs

Our young boxer had a partial torn ligament in her back knee. Our vet said to give her one buffered aspirin a day, saying she could have that for the rest of her life if necessary. I found more information online about restricting movement, non enteric coating, glucosomine, etc. She gradually improved. Then she injured her knee again, so I started the regiment once again. She didn't handle the buffered aspirin so well that time, so we had to tough it out. :o(
    Some dogs don't handle it as well as others, like people.
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger View Post
    I wanted to mention glucosamine, too. One the advice of our vet, we gave "human" glucosamine pills (the tablets for humans being much cheaper, at Costco, than the ones available for pets) to our last senior dog, and they really helped her. It takes a while to see the results, and it had to be a daily thing, but that was no big deal. That dog was an excellent pill taker.

Kara
    Yes, people glucosamine works just as well and is much cheaper. I've given both, I prefer the liquid because sometime my dog spits the pill out and when I put the liquid on her food I know it gets into her system and quicker. In most cases, the equivalent people medication works just as well as the k-9 version.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Yes, people glucosamine works just as well and is much cheaper. I've given both, I prefer the liquid because sometime my dog spits the pill out and when I put the liquid on her food I know it gets into her system and quicker. In most cases, the equivalent people medication works just as well as the k-9 version.
    I completely agree. I'm a vet tech and use glucosamine/chondroiton myself and have used it for dogs and never ONCE have I heard of any difference between dog and human products, other than humans might not like the chicken or beef flavoured chew-tabs. There can be variance between brands though, so if one isn't working it's worth trying another brand. I've heard could things about Costco's brand but not being a Costco shopper myself don't have personal experience with it.

Geila
    Thanks for the advice on the glucosamine. I'm going to look for it at Costco tomorrow. Do you guys give your dogs the same dosage as adults?

ETA: I just saw that his dog food contains it and we did notice a big difference when we started giving him this food about 4 years ago. I'm excited to get this additional help for him. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Geila; 11-17-11 at 12:03am.

Quote Originally Posted by watergoddess View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the glucosamine. I'm going to look for it at Costco tomorrow. Do you guys give your dogs the same dosage as adults?

ETA: I just saw that his dog food contains it and we did notice a big difference when we started giving him this food about 4 years ago. I'm excited to get this additional help for him. Thanks!!!
    I give my 90# girl 1 oz. liquid or 2000 mg tablet form per day.

Geila
    Thanks goldensmom! Got the glucosamine at Costco and both the liquid and pills were each $5 off!

Thread Information