Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Television Reviews--Fall 2011

Am I remembering the wrong series, or did Thirty Something have the most annoying ensemble cast (and story lines) ever? And then they killed off the one likeable character? What a bunch of whiners...If not, never mind.

In other news, we watched Mutant Planet this weekend on The Science Channel. They explained migrations of Japanese macaques after glaciers receded: a matriarchal society of clever and resourceful monkeys. Also, snakes that have evolved specifically to efficiently eat snails, and tabby cats that fish. I am unrepentant; I love TV!

Speaking of old series, a few years ago I went back and watched a couple seasons of Dallas. My grandma had just passed and it was one of her favorite shows in the '70s, so it was really about remembering her. It was a big treat to watch with Grandma when she visited because it was strictly forbidden otherwise--too racy (but of course a guest can watch what she pleases). What a hoot to discover how tame it seems nowadays. When JR is out carousing with women he is not married to, he wears a full set of pajamas and his lady friend's lingerie looks like something out of the "elderly lady" section at the department store. And why do the Ewings, one of the wealthiest families in Texas, feel like they all have to live in the same, relatively small house?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Am I remembering the wrong series, or did Thirty Something have the most annoying ensemble cast (and story lines) ever? And then they killed off the one likeable character? What a bunch of whiners...
    Michael Steadman was the handsomest character on tv, even better than Jon Hamm now on MadMen. Yes there was a lot of whining, and Hope and Michael were perfect, and whiney Nancy had cancer and husband trouble for years on that show. But Miles Drentell was fabulous, the World Worst Boss, ever. I also liked Ellen the career girl. Recently there was a 30Something reunion and all of the women looked totally, absolutely, gorgeous!

I didn't find Steadman remotely interesting. The guy they killed off was more my style. I didn't watch it regularly, so I only vaguely remember the boss. I didn't mind What's-his-name Busfield. Maybe his character whined less than the rest. The Nancy character made me want to reach through the screen and end her misery for her. One reason I watch very little fiction, perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaJane View Post
    Netflix is only streaming. Amazon and iTunes both have video that you download and play later. However, it takes a lot of bandwidth to download video so it isn't very polite to do it on a shared wi-fi connection (unless the library is really empty.) If you know anyone who has wi-fi at their house, you could go there. Netflix is a subscription so my CC gets billed monthly. The Blockbuster store I used to go to had some TV series, and the library carried some series. The other thing is that it's really easy to update your Netflix subscription address, so if you were going to be somewhere for a couple of weeks you could maybe have DVDs mailed wherever you were (depending on your situation.) It's not like a magazine that needs a lot of lead time.
    Thanks for the info Amelia Jane (and Rodger, Iris Lilly and Alan). I'm mainly looking for a way that I can watch TV show or movies on DVDs both at home now and when I'll be travelling and/or camping for long periods of time. Netflix via snail mail for when at home seems best (how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?). But so far nothing seems good while travelling except continuing to just rent a movie from a Redbox or Blockbuster DVD kiosk where ever I'm at and returning it the next day. Unfortuanately they don't have TV show.

[QUOTE=Spartana;56334]...how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?[/U][/I][/B])...

You keep Netflix dvds as long as you want. I am on the two at a time plan. I think there is still a one at a time plan.

It's kind of a relief since I was racking up fines at the Library ($1 per day) so now I prioritize library dvds first. I think that their "keep as long as you want" idea is brill.

[QUOTE=Iris lily;56356]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartana View Post
    ...how long can you keep the DVDs before having to return them? How many can you get at one time?[/U][/I][/B])...

You keep Netflix dvds as long as you want. I am on the two at a time plan. I think there is still a one at a time plan.

It's kind of a relief since I was racking up fines at the Library ($1 per day) so now I prioritize library dvds first. I think that their "keep as long as you want" idea is brill.
    My library rents DVDs for $1/week. So I always pick up a few at a time and don't have to return them for a week (rented "127 Hours" last night and thought it was great! Gave me itchy feet to go mountain biking in Utah though :-)!). The downside with the library giving you a week to return DVDs is that everyone is doing that and so most are checked out and the selection is very bad. I actually liked it better when you could only have then for a day or two as there was a much greater selection and rotation of DVDs.

I looked at the Netflix site and I don't think that'll work for me while travelling. I go for a longggggggg period of time (months sometimes) so need something that I can get while actually on the road where I may not have wi-fi access all the time - so no streaming either. Guess I'll stick to the Redbox/Blockbuster kiosks when I am near a town. Most places seem to have them nowadays. Wait to watch actual TV series when I am home - where ever that ends up being :-)!

Spartana, I hardly ever go down to the library and to just browse anymore. I check or browse on my home computer to see if what I would like to see is on the shelf, which it usually isn't, then put in request. I get an email when it comes in and they hold it for a few days to pick up. At least that how our library works it. Maybe that's common knowledge these days, but I just discovered it a few months ago.

Sometimes when I travel I'll get a few books on CD from the library and transfer them to my MP3 player.
    Last edited by Rogar; 12-13-11 at 10:46pm.

My library has 23,000 dvds to choose from. But even then, I like Netflix due to no fines. Netflix also has a wider variety of the tv shows that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Spartana, I hardly ever go down to the library and to just browse anymore. I check or browse on my home computer to see if what I would like to see is on the shelf, which it usually isn't, then put in request. I get an email when it comes in and they hold it for a few days to pick up. At least that how our library works it. Maybe that's common knowledge these days, but I just discovered it a few months ago.

Sometimes when I travel I'll get a few books on CD from the library and transfer them to my MP3 player.
    I don't have an MP3 player (I'm pretty deaf and using head phones don't work for me) or home internet so wouldn't work for me but thanks for the suggestion. I actually stop by my local library everyday because it's in a big park where I run every morning. And it has a cafe where I can get coffee and a muffin afterwards and get free wi-fi. I think the bottom line is that I will need to move beyond my primitive non-tech ways and actually modernize if I want to watch movies, read books, and surf the web while travelling and staying in remote areas that don't have internet access. Not sure what would work for that.

Thread Information