Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Television Reviews--Fall 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm watching season one of The X-Files on line. Always a step behind...

My sense is that Grimm is improving after a clumsy beginning establishing its back story. I hope I'm right, because I love seeing my old haunts through a cinematographer's eye.

I watched part of Once Upon a Time, but it felt to me like a soap opera with special effects, and since it wasn't filmed anywhere I've ever lived...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My sense is that Grimm is improving after a clumsy beginning establishing its back story. I hope I'm right, because I love seeing my old haunts through a cinematographer's eye.

I watched part of Once Upon a Time, but it felt to me like a soap opera with special effects, and since it wasn't filmed anywhere I've ever lived...

Third episode was really good I think.

LOVE:
    The Wire (just starting it)
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Dexter
    Survivor
    Top Chef
    Project Runway
    Six Feet Under (just finished season 1)
    Mad Men
    Rome
    Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by DonkaDoo View Post
    LOVE:
    The Wire (just starting it)
    Breaking Bad
    Game of Thrones
    Dexter
    Survivor
    Top Chef
    Project Runway
    Six Feet Under (just finished season 1)
    Mad Men
    Rome
    Deadwood

Sounds like my Must See TV list. My three favorite series are on that list: Game of Thrones, Six Feet Under and The Wire.

You will LOVE the Wire. It will make you really feel something and think.

I have to say I'm falling in love with Grimm--especially the werewolf character who gets all the good lines. Yeah, it's formulaic, but the settings, cinematography, and the concept trump that for me. "Bramble House" was about half a mile from where I grew up, and my Portland contact reports production has set up literally a block away from my old house. Personally, I'm hoping the girlfriend turns out to be a changeling, because otherwise she doesn't add a thing to the story.

What? Am I the only one who likes "The Middle"? It reminds me exactly of my family, except I only have two kids; the mouthy older child, and the younger one that whispers words under his breath, and I have only set fire to kitchen towels in the oven, not quilts.

What I love about the show is how they carry themes over from the previous season. On the first season, the mom decided that everyone was going to sit at the kitchen table at the same time to eat dinner, because they never did. There are five people in the family, but they only had four chairs, because since the youngest son had been born several years earlier, they hadn't sat at the table all at the same time until then. So the dad went outside, knocked the snow off a lawn chair, and brought it in for the youngest son to sit on. I noticed on an episode a few weeks ago, that the lawn chair is still at the table. Then of course, I had to laugh because my husband pointed out to me that we have a lawn chair at our table, too. There are only four in my family, but the last time my oldest son had a friend over, we brought the lawn chair in, which dad sat in. I wonder what the kid is telling his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneM View Post
    What? Am I the only one who likes "The Middle"? It reminds me exactly of my family, except I only have two kids; the mouthy older child, and the younger one that whispers words under his breath, and I have only set fire to kitchen towels in the oven, not quilts.

What I love about the show is how they carry themes over from the previous season. On the first season, the mom decided that everyone was going to sit at the kitchen table at the same time to eat dinner, because they never did. There are five people in the family, but they only had four chairs, because since the youngest son had been born several years earlier, they hadn't sat at the table all at the same time until then. So the dad went outside, knocked the snow off a lawn chair, and brought it in for the youngest son to sit on. I noticed on an episode a few weeks ago, that the lawn chair is still at the table. Then of course, I had to laugh because my husband pointed out to me that we have a lawn chair at our table, too. There are only four in my family, but the last time my oldest son had a friend over, we brought the lawn chair in, which dad sat in. I wonder what the kid is telling his parents.
    I like The Middle a lot. It's one of 3 sitcoms I usually plan to watch. Thanks for that note about the lawn chair, I'll mention that to DH and he will like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I have to say I'm falling in love with Grimm--especially the werewolf character who gets all the good lines. Yeah, it's formulaic, but the settings, cinematography, and the concept trump that for me. "Bramble House" was about half a mile from where I grew up, and my Portland contact reports production has set up literally a block away from my old house. Personally, I'm hoping the girlfriend turns out to be a changeling, because otherwise she doesn't add a thing to the story.
    It does have a lot of eye candy with the city scapes and quaint houses, forests. I also love the wolf guy, especially in the Bramble episode. Agreed on the girlfriend. She is insipid. Loved the thing with the reaper guy getting chased out of the territory and the characters spoke French and there were subtitles! OMG, subtitles!

Still like Supernatural after all these years. Two hunky brothers fighting evil demons all the while bantering back & forth with sarcastic little jibs. Like all the very humorous take-offs of other shows and the sort of outragous story lines. Also like gritty cop-dramas like Criminal Minds and L & O: SVU (not as much now that Chis Melloni is gone) and the new cop drama with Marie Bello - Prime Suspect. No cable so can't comment on those but have seen some DVD's - like The closer, Dexter, Sopranos' and Oz (when it was on. Don't like Grimm or the other Fairytale one at all. Ditto for Terra Nova (had hopes for it like another poster did but it's not doing it for me). Really like Fringe too. So I guess the only "new" show I like this season is Prime Suspect.

Thread Information