Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Become a Lessmeatarian?

Become a Lessmeatarian?

I found this interesting blog post this evening, for people who want to eat more sustainably but don't find vegetarianism completely appealing:

http://silententry.wordpress.com/200...lessmeatarian/

Mark Bittman says that he is vegan till 6 pm. I like that. He eats meat in moderation at some of his evening meals.

i'm paleo, and i eat meat once a day. i usually eat three times a day -- eggs plus veggies for breakfast; snack of fruit and nuts/seeds; dinner of meat plus veggies.

it's how pastoralism (traditional pastoralism anyway) works. cultivate some things, husband others, hunt and fish, forage -- eat everything that you can (organs, etc).

and we do what we can. we don't hunt, but will fish and forage. we grow herbs and microgreens and small veg. we don't husband any animals for food, but we'd probably do ok with 3-5 chickens in our space (if the township allowed -- i'm not sure what the rules are).

i really want to keep bees. that is my dream.

The PB&J Campaign explains it a little further - http://www.pbjcampaign.org/how

For the past three years or so, we have had 'meatless Mondays' at our house. It gradually grew to two or three days without meat. Now that vegetarian DS#1 is here, we go 4 or 5 days without meat. I don't feel any better by not eating meat, but a lot of people say that they do. The biggest change has been in the wallet as our grocery bill is less.

Is Kansas City the largest meat eating group of people in the US? The comment in his blog almost kind of irritated me since I live in Kansas. But even though I can't think of any vegetarian restaurants around here, most offer some vegetarian dishes on their menu's. JMO
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

Trying to do the same here. Meatless Mondays and slowly more evenings as well. Primarily cutting back the portion at each meal. If you do a stir-fry, just add much less meat, chicken, etc and more veggies, etc. It really does make a difference in the food budget.

Daytime vegetarian here mostly too. Today's homemade soup has chicken stock in it so technically it's not strictly meatless.

My blood pressure has improved and it's not too hard to keep off the final 10 lbs which put me solidly in the middle of my healthy BMI range rather than towards the top.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Is Kansas City the largest meat eating group of people in the US? The comment in his blog almost kind of irritated me since I live in Kansas. But even though I can't think of any vegetarian restaurants around here, most offer some vegetarian dishes on their menu's. JMO
    Just to make you feel better, Marianne - Are you familiar with The Onion?
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/doz...-meatwave,253/

PS I would say we are Lessmeatarian. DD1 is mostly vegetarian, but eats fish. We eat lots of beans and eggs! Most of the time breakfast and lunch are meatless. Dinner is a mix, but since we pretty much have a Mexican-type bean dinner, a pasta dinner and a stirfry dinner each week, at least three dinners are usually meatless, too.

I have cut my intake of meat to two or three meals per week. This is due to trying to become more healthy but also to help the environment. Yesterday was one of those meat days. I grilled swordfish but it was on 0.8 pounds for four people. Yes the serving size was much less than one would get when eating out but when we left the table after eating the fish, asparagus and garlic mashed potatos we were not stuffed but very satisfied.

I get an executive physical every other year. When I first received this benefit 8 years ago they told me I should weigh between 163 and 165. I was at that time 175 and thought that 165 was never in my sights. I subsequently rose to 185 my high weight due to brie and beer at 9:30 in front of the television. I am happy to say that as of this morning I am 163 3/4 pounds.

I feel great with less meat and weight

I eat meat/fish perhaps 3-4 meals per week. We do eat eggs, cheese, etc., and get plenty of protein, but don't miss the day-in, day-out meat meat meat meat diet.

Thread Information