Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Become a Lessmeatarian?

I wish I tolerated eggs better. Usually meatless before 6 as well. Breakfast is usually fruit and nuts (sometimes fruit is a banana). Ocassionally eggs but I couldn't eat those everyday. Ocassionally things like a bagel with cream cheese (really I try hard not to and will continue to, but they are free at work, so it's a hard fight. Why, why, do bagels have to be free at work instead of bananas or something?).

Lunch is usually a salad with cheese or some prepared veggies. Ocassionally I'll add some tuna or something to my salad (not meatless there). Sometimes I'll eat a bit of unsweeted yogurt with fruit midday (did this more when berries were in season).
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 11-14-11 at 3:34pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by San Onofre Guy View Post
    I am happy to say that as of this morning I am 163 3/4 pounds.
    P.S> San ONofre Guy --- way to go!

I guess we are lessmeatarians, and have been for many years. We eat very little meat, some fish, some dairy, but not more than one or two meals with those ingredients in any given week, and when we do eat meat, etc., it's more as a condiment. One organic chicken breast may make two meals for two people, easily, for example.

we've eaten like this for years, although since reading the China Study, we've cut back ever more on dairy and eggs, and consumer very little dairy now. And with the money we save on foregoing those purchases, we can easily accomodate organic fruits and veggies in our grocery budget.

I can't say that is why, but the one of us who is almost 62 has completely normal blood pressure, blood sugar, etc., and takes no medications at all, and I, at almost 70, take only 5 mg. of Lisinopril for blood pressure, nothing else, and since I've lost a bit of weight over this past summer swimming a LOT, I'm just about ready to go without it at all, as my blood pressure is almost too low at this point. When I had my eyes examined recently, the eye doctor commented that I had "exceptionally healthy eyes".

When I look around me at friends and relatives with more "conventional" diets, I see lots of diabetics, universal use of blood pressure meds, cholesterol problems, and other things. So I think we must be doing something right. Or, then again, since one can do everything right and still get ill, maybe we also have had a big measure of good luck.

Either way, we plan to keep on keeping on, and over the years, as we develop more things we like to eat that are meatless and dairyless, we've become closer to vegan in actuality, even if that hasn't been our total intent.

I know the China Study advocates NO meat, dairy or eggs, but I can't help but think that a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on my vegetarian pasta, or the occasional egg in something is going to completely derail my health. Maybe once a year or so, I've even ingested a really nice filet mignon, and don't expect to keel over with a coronary because of it.
    Last edited by loosechickens; 11-14-11 at 2:49pm.

Mrs-M
    Typically, in our home, meat is on the menu (at least) 5-6 days out of the week, as far as time of day when meat is served, suppertime still remains the time of day when it comes to that.

Thanks for posting this HKPassey.

We do have some form of poultry (most common by far) or fish or meat most days for dinner but it is usually a small quantity per person. Healthwise and environment-wise, I think poultry is a better choice than dairy products, anyway. We also eat a lot of vegan meals, though I've never kept track during any given week of the percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastelmutti View Post
    Just to make you feel better, Marianne - Are you familiar with The Onion?
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/doz...-meatwave,253/
    That was hilarious!!
    Marianne
    My lame blog: http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/
    Eco Friendly Tightwaddery and the Fine Art of Substitution

I seek out grassfed meats from local suppliers whenever possible. An excellent way to reduce environmental costs as well as improve health!

Grazing animals--on natural grasslands, anyway--do far less damage than soy or corn crops. I eat meatless meals--if a cup of yogurt with cream, for example, can be considered a meal, but if pressed I'd consider myself a moremeatarian. My vegetarian years were a big mistake.

I've gradually become almost vegetarian over the past three or so years, and confine my meat-eating to fish and poultry. I doubt that I eat more than a pound of meat in a week, if that much. I have eggs (from certified humanely raised and free-range chickens) for breakfast nearly every day. Lots of my vegetarian recipes involve cheese. I'll probably never go vegan as I think it's unhealthy to not ever eat meat and completely cut out all animal products.

For me this has turned out to be a healthy way to eat. I feel better, have no trouble maintaining a healthy weight, and it certainly gives the budget a boost. The next step will be buying only humanely raised organic chicken and using more salmon and less tuna because of the mercury factor.
    Last edited by Jemima; 11-18-11 at 10:07pm.

Wildflower
    I eat very little meat and if it wasn't for DH who LOVES meat, I would probably be a vegetarian.

Thread Information