Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt question

I am good at making pasta sauces...just a bit lazy at times. Salad dressings...well I like nice caesar salad dressings but the cheater bottled stuff rather than a genuine caesar salad. I think there's just something so convenient after a day of work and a night of school about just getting the dressing. I could make pasta sauces easy enough. Love to make them with garden cherry tomatoes.

I'm recovering from adrenal exhaustion, and salt is my friend. I use Celtic Sea Salt in cooking, and Hain sea salt for sprinkling. Processed foods don't agree with me so I haven't looked in to them as to their quality as salt sources.

My blood pressure and weight are fine, but I have a tendency to retain water. My doctor told me to watch my salt intake to avoid problems with water retention. It works.

Congestive heart problems and edema are also sensitive to salt.

I know of a woman with congestive heart problems whose cardiologist told her not to worry about eliminating salt, just eliminate processed foods. Since I have a family history of high blood pressure, I decided to do that as well so I cook at much as possible from scratch. When I do buy prepared, I look at the nutrition label.

Since my last BP was 110/78 (down from the 130's/90's) I think I'm doing something right.

I also exercise fairly heavily and have several glasses of red wine per week.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

On another note, I only use sea salt here. My mother seems to think that that is bad for you and that you need iodized table salt. Anyone know about that?
    My mother grew up in the Colorado mountains and swears that the lack of iodine in her diet (no seafood, uniodized salt) caused her thyroid issues - she had it removed as a young woman.
    I have been reading some things lately that blood pressure is not necessarily affected by sodium intake but by the imbalance of sodium to potassium in our diets.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My mother grew up in the Colorado mountains and swears that the lack of iodine in her diet (no seafood, uniodized salt) caused her thyroid issues - she had it removed as a young woman.
    I have been reading some things lately that blood pressure is not necessarily affected by sodium intake but by the imbalance of sodium to potassium in our diets.
    Yes, that's what my 2MIL was told about her high blood pressure. If she took potassium supplements she didn't have to be obsessive about dietary salt. Sea salt is good that way because it has a variety of nutrients, not just sodium. That MIL also kept her blood pressure down by eating a lot of garlic during the time the docots hadn't yet found the right meds for her. She'd roast a whole bulb and eat it with a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    If you aren't having a problem with high blood pressure, don't worry about your sodium intake. Even many people who have a problem with their blood pressure aren't salt-sensitive. One of them is me. Reducing sodium in my diet didn't do a thing for me. Retiring did.
    I wonder if I could get a doctor's note stating that I need to retire to lower my blood pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I wonder if I could get a doctor's note stating that I need to retire to lower my blood pressure!
    If that works, I'm in! Get me one while you're there!
    Lurker/poster formerly known as squeak

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Believe me, retirement cures a lot of ills. My blood pressure dropped, I'm detoxing off an antidepressant I no longer need, and I threw the Lipitor away because of side effects and because I can now take the time to cook all my own meals and I'm definitely getting more exercise what with gardening, organizing storage areas, redecorating the house, et cetera. My job was very stressful and ditching the stress alone was a big

My doctor is very pro "retire for your health"! She's told me a number of stories about other people who were able to throw their meds away after retiring. If you love your work, that's a healthy thing, but I doubt that the majority of working folks have a satisfying job.

Thread Information